starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - The Flush

Default Squat Form Check - The Flush

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just turned 50. 6'1" and a fat 276 pounds. I stopped training back in April due to significant knee pain from a torn meniscus that happened in mid January. I believe that excessive knee side caused the injury. I only made it up to 210 pounds on my squat when I stopped training. I cancelled a planned knee surgery in June and finally feel good enough to train. I am starting completely over with light weights to focus on form to try to prevent re-injury. Here is the 3rd set at 125 pounds. Please let me know what to work on.

Narrow your stance a bit and get more bent over at the beginning.

it looks like you are setting the bar too high on your back. When you squat do you feel like the weight begins to go forward onto your toes instead of being balanced on the mid foot? If it does then try and drop the bar a little lower on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    OK, I can try that. What should different result should I see when I do this? I see that my bar path is not straight down. Is that what I should be correcting with the narrower stance and earlier bending over?

Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin View Post
    it looks like you are setting the bar too high on your back. When you squat do you feel like the weight begins to go forward onto your toes instead of being balanced on the mid foot? If it does then try and drop the bar a little lower on your back.
    I need to work on stretching my shoulders. It is difficult to maintain a lower bar position. I feel I can unrack with the bar at the spine of the scapulas. I don't feel like it goes forward onto my toes though. I sometimes need to pull it back down my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Regarding the narrower stance, I feel like I get on the outside edge of my feet when I shove my knees out. Will the narrower stance help with keeping more balanced?

Try it.

Here is my latest 3rd set from tonight. Video angle didn't capture my feet well, but I did narrow my stance a little. I struggle to balance getting my chest pointed down quicker with not breaking hips before knees instead of simultaneously.

starting strength coach development program
    Your knees are travelling too far forward. Use a tubow fir awhile to get their stopping point dialed in.