• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Previous thread: Squat From Check SSLP #3

Height: 175cm (5ft 9in)
    BW: 91kg (200 lbs)
    Working weight: 125kg (275 lbs)
    Workout 33, week 11 of SSLP

Notes:
    1) I posted a squat form check a week ago with the same name on the coaches forum but I don't know what happened to the thread it didn't even appear. I don't want to spam the forum with form check threads so I waited a week before posting again. Please excuse me.
    2) All constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you.

I'm not remotely qualified to give you constructive feedback but I have looked at lots of videos on this board and the SSC one for my own purposes and I just wanted to say I thought they looked really good, like really good. Everything just seemed 'right' and as if it was easy (I'm sure they weren't but it's always said you can tell you're good at something if you make it look easy). Frankly I felt bloody jealous!

So take that with a pinch of salt because I may be way off but thought you might like to know!

I would be interested as to whether anyone feels you need to stand up a bit to complete the rep. That's more for my own interest because I'm a bit confused as to how much one really has to stand up and whether there should be more bending forward at the ankles to get the weight over the mid foot, views seem to vary.

Get your knees about 1 inch/2cm more forward and get them there earlier. Other than that, not much to say outside of nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Get your knees about 1 inch/2cm more forward and get them there earlier. Other than that, not much to say outside of nice work.
    Don't you think I have a bit of a "knee slide" when I hit the bottom ? Not very sure how to fix it. Look at the 2nd set and see how there is a slight forward knee travel right before the drive up as if I'm bouncing from my knees.
    What about my hip drive ? Am I "leading with the hips"correctly ? This concept seems to be the hardest for me @ heavy weights.
    And thank you for the compliments. I try to be thorough as I can be regarding my form and training (video and self critique all the time). This sometimes leads to a lot of unnecessary overthinking though

Your knees don't always end up in the same place and they occasionally move a little at the bottom, but I don't see it as a huge deal. I think it'll go away if you get your knees set a bit more forward a little earlier. Doing that will also help with the drive.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Your knees don't always end up in the same place and they occasionally move a little at the bottom, but I don't see it as a huge deal. I think it'll go away if you get your knees set a bit more forward a little earlier. Doing that will also help with the drive.
    Got it. Will work on that, thanks !