starting strength gym

Thread: Low- bar squat form check

Default Low- bar squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just wanted to post a quick form check for my low bar squat. Thanks
    YouTube

Simply put, these are high bar squat mechanics with the bar in the low bar positions. Try this:

At the start of the rep, bend forward at the hips. NIPPLES TO THE FLOOR! Push your butt BACK and get your torso more horizontal than you think you need to be.

On the way up, stay bent at the hips. Think about leading with the hips on the way up. Your fairly horizontal back angle shouldn't change going into and leaving the hole.

Try this, add a little weight, and repost!

Thanks! I'll try to work on i. Do you think that performing the squat the way I did in the video is effective and safe ?

Safe? Sure. Effective? It depends... It would not be as effective for building strength compared to "getting into the hips" by implementing my above recommendations.

Let's say you just keep squatting like you are. What you will find, I predict, is that you will be on your heals more often than not, leading to balance issues. Once the weight gets heavy, on the way up your hips back whether you want them to or not, but in a less efficient manner than if you would have started with a more horizontal torso angle.

End of the day, if you want to high bar, put the bar on your traps and keep your current mechanics. But if you want to get stronger, faster, then you should low bar squat with low bar mechanics. Just my 2 cents...

Thanks! And I see what you are saying. I'm supposed to hinge at the hips and come back up in the same position. Not perfectly straight, as that would be more of a high bar style squat.