starting strength gym

Thread: Tips for bench bar path

Default Tips for bench bar path

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

Been having trouble with my bar path for bench. You can see as seen as I begin to push off my chest it loops forward. Not sure why this is happening but it’s persisted for a little. Attaching a video yesterday for close grip. Yesterday’s workout was 3 sets of 8 with 225. Looking forward to the tips!

YouTube

Maybe someone else will be able to see something I cannot, but I don't see an issue with your bar path in this set.
    If anything it looks like your forearms aren't quite vertical (especially on the first rep). They're tipped slightly so that your hands are closer to your head and your elbows are closer to your feet. As you push off of your chest, your elbows swing back under the bar, but it doesn't look to me like the bar moves towards your feet.

Maybe try touching a half-inch lower?

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Hey guys,

Been having trouble with my bar path for bench. You can see as seen as I begin to push off my chest it loops forward. Not sure why this is happening but it’s persisted for a little. Attaching a video yesterday for close grip. Yesterday’s workout was 3 sets of 8 with 225. Looking forward to the tips!

YouTube

I see what you are talking about. For a CGBP, you have to touch lower on the chest than a normal bench, due to narrower grip width. How much lower depends on how much narrower your grip is. Touch lower, and think "BACK" towards the rack off of the chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    Maybe someone else will be able to see something I cannot, but I don't see an issue with your bar path in this set.
    If anything it looks like your forearms aren't quite vertical (especially on the first rep). They're tipped slightly so that your hands are closer to your head and your elbows are closer to your feet. As you push off of your chest, your elbows swing back under the bar, but it doesn't look to me like the bar moves towards your feet.

I see what you mean! So elbows not so forward in front of the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    I see what you are talking about. For a CGBP, you have to touch lower on the chest than a normal bench, due to narrower grip width. How much lower depends on how much narrower your grip is. Touch lower, and think "BACK" towards the rack off of the chest.
    Thanks Coach! I’ll try that out! This does happen with my bench on occasion as well so I’m thinking where I touch may be incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post

I think it might be useful to put a bench set on here as well. Here is a set of 5 with bench a couple weeks ago. You can definitely see it on the first, third, and fifth. Doesn’t seem to be too apparent on the second or 4th

YouTube

Yep, the same thing is occurring during your bench. Touch a bit lower (bottom of sternum, or just under the nipples), and drive BACK off of the chest. This should make your bar path more consistent.

If I were there in person, I would have to look from the side to confirm, but it LOOKS like your elbows are TOO far forward (in front of the bar, closer to the feet). Have you been told to tuck your elbows? A better cue is to touch low on the chest, and keep the elbows under the bar. Note: the elbow JOINT is not the point of the elbow, but an inch or 2 closer to your head on the arm.

Also, I'm nit picking but you could have a stronger grip:

Hope this helps!

starting strength coach development program
    Good deal! That helps a lot!