starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, first time posting, just want to say thank you to anyone who spends their time looking at this. First time trying to embed a video in a post of any kind, so apologies if it doesn't work correctly. Also apologies that I am somewhat distant from the camera. Don't have a tripod so had to rest phone on the floor.

So stats are:
    27 years old
    205 pds
    6'1"
    lifting for 10 years but only last 6 months with programming (currently running texas method).
    ~455 deadlift
    ~450 squat
    ~350 bench
    ~200 press

Here I am trying to deadlift the starting strength way, but it seems much more difficult even with lighter weights (here is 385). So maybe I am doing it incorrectly. It feels as though I am using all hamstrings when performing the lift and my hips seem high in the start. Sorry for the side angle obscuring my feet, I made every effort to ensure the bar starts over mid-foot.

IMG_3748 - Streamable

And here am I with my old setup method, which feels makes the weight feel much lighter off the floor (here is 415). Also lets me feel like I am using more than just my hamstrings when pulling. I can see a counter argument to this method being wasted energy but it still feels easier. My main concern with this method is whether my upper back is rounding too much or if it's a safe amount.

IMG_3880 - Streamable

Obviously my deadlift is my weakest lift at this point. It has been the only lift to not increase since starting the texas method, while squats have increased from 325 to 400 for 5. So naturally I'm concerned why my deadlift is being so stagnant.

Thanks again for your time.

There is effectively no difference between these two pulls other than you rolling the bar into your shins.

Pause both lifts right when the bar breaks off of the floor on the first rep. The positions are nearly identical.

That being said, you are jerking the bar off of the ground, and on later reps it is pulling your back out of extension. See below:

Next, each subsequent rep is pull from in front of the mid foot. Notice the bar path drift back off of the floor. When you put the bar down, you are ramping it off of your knees slightly, so it ends up forward of midfoot. Push the hips BACK to lower the bar. Once it gets to the knees, THEN flex the knees.

With the idea of "taking the slack out of the bar" and "building tension" in mind, I would recommend against your "dynamic start," because it will not be easily repeatable at heavy weight, nor does it give you the time to built tension pre pull IMO.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 11-20-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, I will try these tips on my next deadlift day and report back.

At least the girl in the video is smart enough to deadlift in flat soled shoes.