starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

Been a while since I checked my form with anyone. Sorry about the camera angle and missing feet, not worked out a good place to put my phone to take video in this gym yet. Aside from the excessive drama and heavy breathing (I don't think even William Shatner overacted this much), I actually think these are pretty good. What do you guys think? This was my second set at 125kg (275lbs).

YouTube

thanks all!

At the top, stand up and lock your knees. Stop looking in the mirror. Get tighter.

Thanks Jeff! I'm cueing myself to lock out more at the top (I've had this problem before, been neglecting it). I'm still in front of the mirror (lots of mirrors in my gym...) but trying to fix my gaze on some part of the floor in the reflection.
    I don't know how to be tighter though. I'm squeezing by abdomen, holding a deep breath and squeezing my shoulders back hard to get that shelf -- what am I missing, or not doing enough of?

I videoed a set yesterday at 127.5, but aside from the angle it looks pretty much the same except for the lockout, so not much value posting it...

Make sure you are not sucking in your stomach.

Hi, here's sets 2 and 3 @130kg from Monday. Yesterday for a light day I did 3 5s at 105kg and hurt my back, been wincing getting in and out of chairs and mum hung ibuprofen all day. Didn't video those, but is there anything in my form that was setting me up for a problem like this? Thanks, and sorry about the angles.

YouTube
    YouTube

Wouldn't worry too much about why your back might be hurting, let's assume it's getting better, and you're going to train anyway -- but you want to improve your form regardless. Here's an interesting from Austin and Jordan to check out -- YouTube

But anyway -- your consistently putting your hips back, and it looks like you're almost setting your knees correctly, but then they slide forward at the bottom. This leads to the bar shifting forward, and then on the way up it looks like you're overcompensating and you end up on your heels a bit. If you're feeling like you can't hit depth without sliding forward, than there might be something a bit off with your stance -- can't really tell from this video though. If no one else gives you better advice I would suggest you:
    - make slight adjustments to your stance in your warmup, see what feels right, and what looks right on video.
    - try to get that last warmup rep looking pretty good (doesn't need to be perfect)
    - and just try to hang on for your working sets.
    - don't waste too much time on it.

Keep at it.

You're still looking up and still not as tight as you need to be. Where do you train/live?

Can you find a regular cage to squat out of instead of that ladder rack? If anything's causing you major problems it's the whole racking/unracking process which is a real mess. You can make it better, but the squat stand you're using is a tough one to use well.

@ssansom: well, that's encouraging. Thanks, man! I'll experiment with stance and try to be stricter on knee position during warmups. "Hanging on" is about all I can ask of myself on a heavy work set though!

@Jeff: Upper back tightness? That, along with shoulder mobility, has been my biggest challenge since I started squatting. I'm in the south of England. I've visited Carl Raghaven in London a couple of times, but don't have any frequent coaching.
    My gym does have a cage, which I've used on Wednesday (when I hurt myself) and this morning (a few light high-rep sets). No good for presses (I'm too tall), but it is better in every other way, eg. one of the few spots in the gym where I can avoid all mirrors! I don't think I rack / unrack any differently in the cage though, what should I change?
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

Post a set from the cage.

starting strength coach development program
    Here's a set from my last workout. Still building back up to previous weight while my back heals, so this is less challenging (110kg).

YouTube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast