starting strength gym

Thread: 303 Tempo Squats

Default 303 Tempo Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm on the 2nd week of The Bridge and I just wanted to get a check on my 303 squats. The form looks good to me but the reason I'm asking for a critique is that past 6 reps, my LOWER back is on fire. Not the feeling of pulling or tweaking a back, but the muscles are literally cramping. I barely mustered the courage to do my 4th and last set after this. Then for about an hour after my lower back felt extremely rigid and on fire. Luckily after that it went away magically and today I feel great with my back just a little sore. My wife felt the same thing, but just not to as bad of a degree.

I think I just had the equivalent of a bicep bro pump but in my lower back. It 'hurts' since its on a more sensitive part (lower back), but I swear thats what it feels like. Is that just par for the course for these type of higher rep tempo squats or is there something glaringly wrong with my form?

Just a few things I wanted to point out that I am aware of:

1. I recognize my ascent was closer to 2 seconds than 3 seconds. Seems like time travels faster under the bar.

2. I recently changed back to doing Low Bar squats again from High Bar.... Thats why I have the foam roller there. Making sure I stay in my hips, versus the quad dominant High bar technique.

Let your knees come a little more forward. Wear a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Let your knees come a little more forward. Wear a belt.
    The reason I am not wearing a belt is Jordan specifically says not to for all squats but the heavy squat on his program.

With my knees too far back, does that mean I'm using my hips TOO MUCH?

It could mean that, it could also mean that you're using your quads too much.