starting strength gym

Thread: Back squat form check please.

Default Back squat form check please.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. Back again with a form check request please. This I hope is a better angle. Still not to depth although the camera was a little too high. Would just like thoughts on the rest of the technique. Thanks.

YouTube

Much improvement from before! I see you working! Some things

1) drive your knees out. HARD
    2) you get into your toes on several of these reps—think midfoot and stay midfoot the whole time
    3) you lift your head and chest out of the bottom on a few. Stay in your hips the whole time (think about driving your hips through the ceiling)
    4) are those lifting shoes? If not, get some

5) your knees are soft at the top (bent). Straighten them out and stand all the way up each time

6) commit yourself to getting deeper

Keep working man!

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Much improvement from before! I see you working! Some things

1) drive your knees out. HARD
    2) you get into your toes on several of these reps—think midfoot and stay midfoot the whole time
    3) you lift your head and chest out of the bottom on a few. Stay in your hips the whole time (think about driving your hips through the ceiling)
    4) are those lifting shoes? If not, get some

5) your knees are soft at the top (bent). Straighten them out and stand all the way up each time

6) commit yourself to getting deeper

Keep working man!
    Hello Royce,

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I listened to your previous points & watched the 3 videos you suggested. I think it's finally all making sense now. Replies to your points:

1) Ok will do.
    2) Ok will do
    3) I do that to try & keep my back angle the same & my back straight. Is this wrong?
    4) I tried some Adidas Powerlift weightlifting shoes & I think the added heel height made me lean too far forward although they did feel more stable.
    5) Should I lock out at the top or just try for straighter?
    6) I am going to keep at the same weight until I can get bellow parallel every single time

Thanks for your help.

For depth, think about pushing your hips BACK and knees out at the same time. Once the knees are set, you just sit the hips down to get to depth. You're not pushing your hips back which makes hitting depth an issue.

Also, squeeze your abs as hard as you can the entire time.

It is not wrong per se, its just that when you big your ascent on a few of the reps do you see how you're lifting your chin and the back angle becomes more vertical. Stay horizontal a little bit longer and then straighten up. With regards to the shoes, try them next time. It may be of some value to you if you tempo squat some of your warmups. It doesn't have to be a specific count or anything, but enough to where you can be under control and feel where your weight shifts. Lock your knees at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stacks View Post
    For depth, think about pushing your hips BACK and knees out at the same time. Once the knees are set, you just sit the hips down to get to depth. You're not pushing your hips back which makes hitting depth an issue.

Also, squeeze your abs as hard as you can the entire time.
    Ok thanks. I will try these cues next time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    It is not wrong per se, its just that when you big your ascent on a few of the reps do you see how you're lifting your chin and the back angle becomes more vertical. Stay horizontal a little bit longer and then straighten up. With regards to the shoes, try them next time. It may be of some value to you if you tempo squat some of your warmups. It doesn't have to be a specific count or anything, but enough to where you can be under control and feel where your weight shifts. Lock your knees at the top.
    Ok thanks I understand. I will put into action next time.