starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Willis' info: Male, 22, 168lb, 6' 4"
    I'm helping train a friend of mine, Willis, this is him back after a lay off for work. Sorry the other work sets weren't recorded on squat.
    I can pick out most (hopefully) of what's wrong with the squats and deadlifts, I just can't figure out how to make him move the way he needs to.
    I also didn't cue him during the videos so that his movement pattern wouldn't change and all the form mistakes might be clear.
    squat 95x5

deadlift 155x5

You need to feed Willis. Like a lot.

Squat: Good bar position, he needs to get more bent over sooner and have less forward travel of the knees. Tubow will help.

Deadlift: He's way too loose and round backed. Narrow the stance and turn the feet out more. Actually pull into extension against the bar. Get set and tight before each pull. Lead up with the chest.

I would say widen stance on squats bc he's like, you know, super tall. Also, I'm not 100% confident that the bar isn't slightly too low. Also-also, keep your elbows up and pinned to your sides; this provides the shelf for the bar to rest on.

As far as DL's, what Jeff said.

Eat, Eat, Eat. DL: Weight on the bar is very light. Don't exhale until the bar is on the floor. Don't bend knees on he descent until bar is passing the knees.

Ok, any tips on getting him to do these things? I've talked with him about everything you said except the stance part on deadlifts, but the problems are persistent despite my cues, "Chest up!" And explaining how to use his erector for his low back extension. And I'll do what I can about the food, he agrees completely but his schedule gets in the way of eating. I'll be sure to pressure meal prepping more than I already have.

YouTube

YouTube

Have him watch these videos

starting strength coach development program
    Beat him and his coach until they get it right.