starting strength gym

Thread: Rehab DL check

Default Rehab DL check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    M, 56 yo, 205 lb, 5' 10"

About 2-3 months ago I tweaked my back doing a 465 lb DL, herniated a disk or something (Details here: https://startingstrength.com/resourc...hlight=RJPinAZ). I laid off pretty much everything for a while, finally getting back into a routine 2-3 weeks ago. I'm basically doing an LP again for all my lifts before switching programming to carefully get back to my previous weights. I'm planning a session with an SS coach in the very near future to fine tune my form.

As it was the DL that hurt me, I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly before the weight gets heavy. Here is a set of three at 245: YouTube.

Is that excessive back rounding? A while ago SSC Robert Santana gave me the suggestion of getting in position, then loosening a bit to take a big breath, brace again and then lift. I feel like I'm lifting my chest before lifting but it doesn't seem to look that way. I've gotten into the habit of lowering the bar relatively slowly because dropping is somewhat frowned upon at my gym (plus this is a fairly light weight for me). I did 255 for 5 right after this set (my camera holder had to leave) and I really concentrated on feeling my lower back and keeping it neutral/extended and really tightening the supporting muscles. For the first time I really felt like my back was well supported so I'm going to try an keep that feeling in all my workouts.

Thanks for any and all input.

-RJP

Lay off was a bad idea. I would not call that excessive rounding.

The back is not overly rounded, but it could be set harder. Set the bar down faster, slow descents are harder on the back. I would also recommend a belt, even at lower weights.

Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    Lay off was a bad idea. I would not call that excessive rounding.
    Thanks for the input. Always good to get an outside opinion on form.

With regards to my layoff from lifting, I actually did head back to the gym about a week and a half after I was injured. I was feeling not too bad and knew I had to get moving. I did a couple sets of light squats and RDLs, pretty much completely pain free. I was fully expecting to wake up the next day feeling even better. Unfortunately, the pain and discomfort was as bad as it was 3-4 days after the injury. Took me another 2-3 weeks before I was feeling as good as I did the day before my first post-injury workout. So I decided I was going to give everything a good rest before trying any more lifting, and it was almost a month before my next workout. I'm back in the swing of things now, having gone through ten workouts since the beginning of the month, basically starting an LP again. Today I squatted 265 x 5 x 3, benched 190 x 5 x 3 and deadlifted 275 x 5 and plan on adding 5-10 pounds to those lifts (plus the press) at my next workout.

A year ago I tore an adductor squatting and went through the Starr protocol so I have first hand experience on the value of working an injured body part. I fully expected that first workout to be a help, just like each Starr workout made my adductor less painful. But apparently, and not too surprisingly, backs, at least my back anyway, respond differently than adductors.

-RJP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    The back is not overly rounded, but it could be set harder. Set the bar down faster, slow descents are harder on the back. I would also recommend a belt, even at lower weights.
    I dropped the bar faster today and a belt (3") is being ordered tomorrow.
    Thanks for the input.

-RJP