starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check @137.5kg (303lbs)

Default Squat Form Check @137.5kg (303lbs)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    I started experiencing elbow pain (left) a few weeks ago when squatting. I scoured the forums and read "The Elbow Problem". Today, I tried a narrower grip and tried to focus on keeping my elbows pinned to my sides. Doing so eliminated the elbow pain, imagine that.
    This video is of my 3rd set. I didn't stay over mid-foot on rep 3, and my last rep was high - My left wrist was extended back a bit too much and the pain started coming on during the 3rd rep. I also think I need to keep my back tighter.
    I appreaciate your feedback and advice.
    Thank you.

yes you are losing tension at the bottom of the squat yeah added tightness in the bottom will help as your squats are turning into good mornings. Try to keep a "proud chest" at the bottom of the squat.

Ah man I know how you feel! Tips that helped me:

1) keep knees solid when you begin the ascent (notice how far backwards they shoot?) knee sleeves helped me a ton here
    2) drive hips up not back during the ascent

3) the bar may be in the wrong place (too high)...but I could be wrong

4) as always check out Alan thralls videos on squatting and if you can see a coach in person that would be even better. Good luck

+1 on what chris and Royce posted. Your're allowing your knees to extend without moving the bar up. I had this issue at one point, and the thing that helped me was to think about lifting my chest on the way up. Most people tend to have the opposite problem (lifting the chest too early).

I had the very same problem. My hips would drive up without the bar coming up. I believe we performed it like this due to the cue "drive your hips up", and our failure to keep our back in strict extension. You must make sure your back angle does not change; to do this do not let your knees extend without the bar moving upward. I solved this problem by moving the bar about another inch down my back, I found it much easier to drive the bar and my hips up at the same time like this. Moving the bar down my back another inch also kept the bar over my mid foot the whole rep. After you have driven your hips up without moving the bar, you were forced to then perform a sort of 'good morning' to bring the bar back over your mid foot.
    Hope this helps.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and tips.

I never noticed the knee slide before.

Ok, so, I dropped the weight by 2.5kg (5lbs) and focused on a proud chest, staying tight in the bottom, and solid knees. I also placed the bar lower on my back, which did help me stay over midfoot. My last rep was high and I didn't keep my elbows tight enough to my body, which I noticed due to the pain that I felt in my left elbow after the final set.

I wasn't comfortable lifting outside of the rack last time but did so for a good camera angle. I decided to go back into the rack for safety. I know it isn't an ideal angle, but it is the best that I can do while I am inside the rack.

Better, but you're still letting your back angle change on the way up.

starting strength coach development program
    I could be wrong, the video angle could be messing me up. But I think you're dropping down into your squat and failing to drive your butt back enough on the descent. It's a lot easier to have a bad bar path on the way down, but when you start driving up the bar wants to get back to over the mid-foot.