starting strength gym

Thread: Wack Equpiment at the YMCA

Default Wack Equpiment at the YMCA

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The barbells at the YMCA do not have a center knurling. That being said it is easy (unless I’m doing something wrong) for the bar to slip around during a low bar squat.
    They do not allow chalk, nor do they allow Kinesiology tape to act as a center knurling.

Besides switching gyms (I live in the middle of nowhere) or buying a power rack and a proper barbell, what would you recommend to fix this problem?
    Thank you for taking your time for reading this.

Hello, Paul

Google this: A7 FITNESS BAR GRIP SHIRT

I have no experience with the product. I'm just aware of the name because the they sponsor powerlifting meets.

Good luck!

The vast majority of barbells I have used do not have center knurling. I have never had a problem with one slipping around on my back, nor do I chalk my back. Cotton t-shirts or sweatshirts are your friend (synthetics are far slipperier).

I have had plenty of problems with them slipping off my delts doing front squats but center knurling wouldn't help much with that....

Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    The vast majority of barbells I have used do not have center knurling. I have never had a problem with one slipping around on my back, nor do I chalk my back. Cotton t-shirts or sweatshirts are your friend (synthetics are far slipperier).

I have had plenty of problems with them slipping off my delts doing front squats but center knurling wouldn't help much with that....
    Thanks, your a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post

Quote Originally Posted by robbyramone View Post
    Hello, Paul

Google this: A7 FITNESS BAR GRIP SHIRT

I have no experience with the product. I'm just aware of the name because the they sponsor powerlifting meets.

Good luck!
    Thank you

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, 100% cotton T-shirts are far less slippery than even 60-40 blends.