starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Power: I'ts over 5000 (redux). Weak power cleans and the fires of hell!!!

Default Deadlift Power: I'ts over 5000 (redux). Weak power cleans and the fires of hell!!!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

Some follow up to the questions posted here:

https://startingstrength.com/resourc...er-5000-a.html

These are my form checks requested including my extremely weak and pathetic 75 lb. Power clean (with a miss included for your entertainment). I apologize ahead of time for the grunting. It is a technique ingrained from my kickboxing background. Help me focus my energy. Luckily enough I have a home gym so the only people i annoy are neighbors and you good people .

Stats:
    Male 35
    5'11, 215 lbs. roughly 20% BF
    Squat 310 x5 x3
    Press 120 x5 x3
    Bench 185 x5 x3
    PC 90 x3 x5 (being extremely conservative due to form/racking on shoulder healing from surgery)
    Deadlift 395 x5 x1
    3 months back lifting using novice (went to advanced last week to help with recovery).

Squats:
    YouTube

Deadlift reps and a max pull (look at those knees knockin!):
    YouTube
    YouTube

Laughable Cleans:
    YouTube

So a basic question and concern I have are my squats hurt like hell. Not like ohh boy this is tough hurt like hell. My last set typically feels like my legs are filled with acid instead of blood. It's melting my muscle fibers as they are all simultaneously tearing. My knees and hips feel like they've been placed in a vice that is one turn from snapping them. After the final set the pain is so severe that I typically need 5 minutes of sitting before I can unload the bar and move on to the next exercise. Funnily enough, this doesn't appear to have any long term effect. An hour after my workouts I feel just fine, and can go about my day as normal. Should I stop being a pussy and just keep putting weight on the bar, or is something wrong?

I believe I am eating and resting enough. Getting 7 hours consistently (can't stay asleep), and eating around 3100 calories a day with 220g protein. All of my normal food sources outside of shakes are high quality protein, and i'm taking a multi, fish oil, and BCAA's.

Finally, as you can see my Power Cleans are pathetic. They are hurting my wrists because I can not get them to the rack position and end up catching them on my hands. I still at am a loss that I can deadlift over 400 but can't rack a 75 lb clean. I've tried widening/closing my grip, stance, jumping sooner, later etc. I can't figure this out! HELP!

Hello Intricate,

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate35 View Post
    Finally, as you can see my Power Cleans are pathetic.
    I think the biggest problem of your PCs is timing.
    Your feet are leaving ground before your pull is finished; with a slight exaggeration, I would say you are trying to shrug the bar while floating in the air.
    You just need to finish your pull, extend yourself all the way while still keep contact with the ground. Then, you can proceed to stomping and racking.
    I would say some high pulls might help you get the feeling for what a proper, full extension feels like.

There are also other aspects of your PC that need some looking into, but none of them as important as fixing your timing (obviosuly, IMHO).

Hope this helps,

IPB

Squats:
    Your stance is a little wide, you need to do a bit better job of maintaining thoracic extension (Shoulder blades back, don't shrug up on the bar at the top), and you don't keep your chin down. However, I don't see anything in your squat technique that would explain the pain you mention. How long are you resting between sets?

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hello Intricate,

I think the biggest problem of your PCs is timing.
    Your feet are leaving ground before your pull is finished; with a slight exaggeration, I would say you are trying to shrug the bar while floating in the air.
    You just need to finish your pull, extend yourself all the way while still keep contact with the ground. Then, you can proceed to stomping and racking.
    I would say some high pulls might help you get the feeling for what a proper, full extension feels like.

There are also other aspects of your PC that need some looking into, but none of them as important as fixing your timing (obviosuly, IMHO).

Hope this helps,

IPB
    Thanks IPB. That makes sense. I know there is something that is just killing my power completely. Maybe this will help solve it. Would you recommend adding in rows to help balance out the program until I can get PC's up to snuff? I feel as the though my pulls are not on par with my pushing movements. I'm already doing chins/dips alternating.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    Squats:
    Your stance is a little wide, you need to do a bit better job of maintaining thoracic extension (Shoulder blades back, don't shrug up on the bar at the top), and you don't keep your chin down. However, I don't see anything in your squat technique that would explain the pain you mention. How long are you resting between sets?
    I noticed the shrugging as well after looking at it and I'm not sure where that's come from. The chin thing is the habit of looking at my knees to make sure they are not caving or sliding. I will actively work on breaking both of these bad habits.

As for the stance, I have a very low femur ratio (its like .22 of my overall height), which I've read benefits from a slightly wider stance. I've never squatted this much until I brought it out an 2 inches. Would you recommend bringing it in again? Deloading?

The pain is very real. I have a high tolerance and my family says I'm crazy for working through it, but I feel fine today even as I write this. I get none of that pain from any of the other movements. It's debilitating during the workout. I have to sit down and writhe for a couple mins before I can even get up again. I can't find anything on this so I'm hoping someone can chime in on what this might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    Squats:
    Sorry I didn't answer your question. After the first I feel like I'm ready after 5 mins, second usually feel good after 7 (with some pain after that set), and last one is up to 10 mins before I feel like i can get under the bar again.

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate35 View Post
    I've never squatted this much until I brought it out an 2 inches. Would you recommend bringing it in again? Deloading?
    Did you have pain with a narrower stance?

No I didn't, but I used it only up to 225. When I have my light days in the middle of the week, the wide stance doesn't produce the pain at the lighter weights. I can do 225 for x5x3 with only 1-2 mins on the light day. I can try to bring it back in slowly, but is there a reason that the width could be causing the pain?

starting strength coach development program
    I can't say for sure. If it were me...I'd try it and see if it helps.