starting strength gym

Thread: Squat bar path

Default Squat bar path

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My squat has been feeling better after a recent injury reset. Been working on narrowing my stance a bit as well since my last post here. So today for the hell of it I took this video to check the bar path. the bar is clearly moving forward at the bottom on a couple reps, and I never felt "on my toes". sucks, I typically feel over mid foot, or if anything back on my heels.
    tear it up... and thank you to all the people who know what the fuck to look for and are kind enough to share free knowledge here.
    bar path 11:29:17 - YouTube

This is not the most useful angle -- can't see most of your back. I think it's slightly rounded though (upper and lower).

General thoughts: think about pulling chest open, stay tight, stick your butt back more on the way down, drive those knees out (I think they're caving in a bit, as you let your knees slide forward at the bottom).

Depth is a tad high, or borderline, on some of these reps.

not an expert. and its hard to see much from this angle . . .

But your knees seem to come forward the whole time during the descent, which, I believe leads to the fact your bar path comes forward as well.

Its funny, when you come up from the bottom, your knees quickly find a "home" and then stay there during the ascent.

This is probably around the same place where your knees should be stopping on the way down (1/2 way to 1/3 of the way down).

"This is probably around the same place where your knees should be stopping on the way down (1/2 way to 1/3 of the way down)."
    ^That

and

Fix these things in this order:
    You don't seem to be voluntarily extended your back at all. Think "pick up my butt without moving my chest" and see if that works.
    You're crashing into the bottom of your squat. Take it a lot slower, but still bounce out of the hole.
    Fix your knees.
    You're going too deep.
    Your feet are too wide. Bring it about an inch or so in (it's hard to tell from this angle).
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Get leaned over earlier. Look at the angle of your back when you come up. That's what you should be shooting for on the way down. Trying to keep your torso too vertical on the descent causes things to shift around at the bottom and in the early part of the ascent.

Awesome, thank you all. I have plenty of homework.

Quick follow up question.. thoughts on very light sets 50-60% work weight on rest days strictly for technical corrections and to grease the groove so to speak?

Nope. Just do the program. Reset if necessary. Get your form good.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Nope. Just do the program. Reset if necessary. Get your form good.
    thank you

starting strength coach development program
    Anytime man.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com