starting strength gym

Thread: 1st Squat Form Check

Default 1st Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Be gentle, please.

54, 5'10", 150

6 weeks into LP, first time barbell lifter.

I ski in the winter and have been taking it easy on the weight additions as I'd prefer to injure myself on my skis and I've already bought a season pass.

I spent 10 years racing bicycles and as that part of my posterior chain comes back I'm very aware of a lot of weak links, external rotators in particular. This weight doesn't feel particularly heavy but my form collapses each time I add 5 lbs. This is the 3rd workout at 145. The first 3 sets at 145 were grim, as bad as these are they are much, much better.

YouTube

I don't hate these. They're pretty decent.

-Don't go so deep.
    -Keep your knees out.
    -Bounce out of the hole faster (but don't descend faster).
    -Buy squat shoes.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I don't hate these. They're pretty decent.

-Don't go so deep.
    -Keep your knees out.
    -Bounce out of the hole faster (but don't descend faster).
    -Buy squat shoes.
    I ordered some from Adidas mentioned in a thread in the training forum. Frustratingly zero confirmation of the order from them.

I thought they were maybe slightly shallow and could not believe how high my head is, I thought I was looking down.

I was looking at vids of squatting and came across this track cyclist: YouTube

My quads, glutes and erectors are ready for a lot more weight but the cycling left me with no comparable external rotator strength; I'm trying to keep my knees out, but the strength necessary to do so is coming on much more slowly than just re-awakening the past strength I had developed in my legs. Its not just the external rotators either. Every time I put 5 lbs on the bar all sorts of problems with stability happen. I have fractional plates and might just have to suck it up and use them on a less-than-body weight squat.

Is there an assistance lift that's practical for external rotators?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post

Is there an assistance lift that's practical for external rotators?
    No point. Just keep doing the program, and they will catch up appropriately.
    It's ok that parts of your body are stronger than others at the moment. Don't try to over 'optimize' it, because it'll just get screwed up.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    No point. Just keep doing the program, and they will catch up appropriately.
    It's ok that parts of your body are stronger than others at the moment. Don't try to over 'optimize' it, because it'll just get screwed up.
    Ok, thanks for the help, appreciate it.

starting strength coach development program
    Anytime.