starting strength gym

Thread: good morning squat... duh

Default good morning squat... duh

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Recently bought a brand new squat shoes, but the movement feels really odd. Here you can see on the first clip of me squating in flats (bar still shifts further off my balance but maybe "less") they look probably a tiny better, and on the second (warmup) and third clip, bar falls way too ahead of my toes. That day i was tired and it helped me lose more tightness on the upper back, usually it still happens in a less extend.

YouTube

I always fail to break at the knees or hips exactly simuteniously, i guess it contributes to this results as well? Or maybe i should pull my hips back more than shown so the bar could be over the middle of the foot?

Sorry for bad quality. Thank you!

I love and hate squats!

So the biggest thing is that you are not controlling your descent, going from your weight on you heels to your toes as you crash into the hole. Stay on the midfoot and stay tight in the hole.

Alan Thrall had the same issue about a year ago, and worked with SSC Austin Baraki to fix his form, see below:
    YouTube

I've watched the video several times in the past and tried to apply the cues to correct my squat, but then started using different cues which don't combine well together... duh. And furthermore, was following the SSLP while grinding those heavy sets of fiveh' each session, so i coudn't focus on fixing my form. I hope now, while following "The Bridge" (starting next week) i'll be more focused on performing the movement better.
    Thanks for your critique and i agree with you!

The Doc himself responded! Wow! Yes, i "follow" you and Jordan on instagram and i've seen this post. Lets say that i am familiar with my mistakes, but the problem i guess comes from the time i spend to correct them. Usually i'm cautious on fixing them, but it is really hard when they are simuteniously grinders. Doc, do you think i should delay running "The Bridge" and should just spend a few weeks doing tempo squats? Or i should be more focused on the movement while running the program? Much appriciate your responds :-).

Tempo squat your warmups to drill in the good motor pattern for your heavy squat worksets, but don’t tempo those. You can also tempo your ‘light day squats’. Finish out your LP then go to the bridge

Cool dude, deff will try this. I'm already done with my LP though :P ..

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyGrinder View Post
    Cool dude, deff will try this. I'm already done with my LP though :P ..
    Ha, reading all the posts help. Good deal man and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Ha, reading all the posts help. Good deal man and good luck!
    It sure does! Thanks, friend!

starting strength coach development program
    Today did 2 sec pause-ish squats (still getting use to the pauses) with 210x4 (RPE 7)

Still sometime failing to break with both joints on some reps, which results with "goodFuc...morning" (RIP Rich Piana)... but still my biggest concern is - why my chest always collapses at the bottom of the descent, even though i try to keep it "proud"...

Opinions?