starting strength gym

Thread: 1st time squat check

Default 1st time squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    long time lurker first time poster. very appreciative of all the info I've been able to read and try to apply from this forum.

YouTube

this was my second set at 245 lbs. I'm 6'5" probably 245 lbs, was feeling pretty good flexibility wise on this day, better than normal. I'll let it be watched unbiased before going into problems I know I'm having.

thanks

Your stance is much too narrow - widen your stance the width of your foot on each side. At the start of the squat, break at the knees and hips simultaneously and get bent over. Stop your knees's forward movement just a little in front of your toes and make sure that happens by the time you're halfway down. Keep your knees there until you are halfway back up.

Thanks for the help. Here's the 3rd set at 225# trying to widen stance. it felt a lot different but watching it on big screen still not sure if wide enough. took twice the amount of warm up sets to loosen my groin.

YouTube

Good. Now you need to keep your knees from getting so far forward. Get a tubow and use that to help stay out of your knees and more into your hips.

been working with a tubow and on mobility a bunch the last couple weeks and i cant get away from a sharp pain in my left groin when i get to the bottom that saps all my power. Video here is last warm up set with block, but when i went for 225 i could only get 2 reps.

YouTube

i've found myself reverting to a narrower stance again to get around the hip issue. it got messed up awhile back when i foolishly did p90x and its infinity rep leg lift ab routines. never been the same since.

any stretches or good warm ups to recommend aside from pressing the legs out in squat position? other squat issues to correct that may be exacerbating the hip pain? thanks again.

The TUBOW is too close to your toes. You want your knees to come past your toes as is appropriate for your anthropometry.

You need to work on breaking hips and knees at the same time. Because you don’t want to hit the TUBOW, you’re kicking your hips back first, then breaking your knees. But also because the block is too close, your shins are effectively vertical.

You are too deep, which may be aggravating your groin issue.

Also, and a smallish bit, get all of your fingers on the bar. Austin Baraki talks about this in his “Common Squat Errors” video he did with Alan Thrall.

starting strength coach development program
    thanks i'll give it all a try and will check that video out.