starting strength gym

Thread: Bench check 230 x 5

Default Bench check 230 x 5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

Any critiques would be awesome. For my first year lifting (before finding SS) I would always bench like a dumbass, bouncing ridiculously off my chest, having butt come way off the bench etc.... I think I've gotten my form pretty decent now but there is always room for improvement. Thanks in advance!

Looks pretty solid.
    That belt does not appear to be tight enough. How tight does it feel when you have it on?

Where are you looking mid-set?

Why do you wear straps?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

belt is normally feels pretty tight, today I puked after my 3x5 on squats so my stomach wasn't as full as it normally was and my belt was fitting a bit looser, I bring my head up and look at the bar during the lift, and I've just always worn the wraps for benching before I starting lifting skateboarding was pretty much my life and broke both wrists (2 hairline fractures and 1 compound) so I just always put wraps on for confidence at this point they are just more of habit should I stop using them?

Do you have pain when you bench without them? I don't think they'll hurt anything, and you already own them, but you may not need them.

Belt is probably fine then.

Don't look at the bar when you lift. Look at a single spot on the ceiling.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Head on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    Head on the bench.
    ^^^

Otherwise, looking good. Nice setup, arch and ROM. Lucky you!

More drive with your legs throughout the movement. Grip may be a bit wide, but it's hard to tell from this angle whether your elbows are directly under your wrists at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Do you have pain when you bench without them? I don't think they'll hurt anything, and you already own them, but you may not need them.

Belt is probably fine then.

Don't look at the bar when you lift. Look at a single spot on the ceiling.
    Just re read the bench chapter in SS and have no idea how after reading it through the first time I neglected the head on the bench, it is made very clear. Sorry for wasting your time with that one will fix asap. I probably should have just re read the section of the book before posting on here😂

No spotter and no safety pins. I will just repeat what my coach told me the last (and only) time I did that: "We rather have you alive, so get a spotter or bench inside the squat rack"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_quinn View Post
    Just re read the bench chapter in SS and have no idea how after reading it through the first time I neglected the head on the bench, it is made very clear. Sorry for wasting your time with that one will fix asap. I probably should have just re read the section of the book before posting on here��
    No problem. I've read SS three times front to back and every time I reread it, I learn something I missed on the previous iterations. I'm happy to help. It's not a waste of time.