starting strength gym

Thread: Press 2.0 question

Default Press 2.0 question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For press 2.0, the technique defenately increases bar speed for a single rep. However, each rep thereafter slows down significantly due to fatigue and loss of tightness/timing/formbreakdown vs a standard press with or without rebound. So for me, a single is easier with 2.0, but sets are better using 1.0. Anyone else have this issue or suggestions? Is it a matter of more practice needed with 2.0 sets?

Practice will change this to a degree.

I also get too tired with 2.0. I dont have enough experience with it, and I take too long to set up. A set of 5 takes me way too long. Im working on my 2.0 form so that I can do the first rep with 2.0 then each rep after utilizing the bounce reflex with 1.0 technique. I like it alot and am finding its the strongest combo for me.

I would argue that these difficulties with the 2.0 are beneficial. Practicing maintaining that tightness (mainly in the abs) is beneficial. As you get better, it will get easier. The better you get at maintaining tightness, the shorter the reset will be. That being said, the 2.0 will probably always feel harder for sets than the 1.0 does. The bar is going from a dead stop every time. The analogy of for this would be bouncing a deadlift vs letting it settle before starting the next rep. Which is 'better'? It depends. For most people, doing a 'press 1.5' set where the first rep is 2.0 and subsequent reps are 1.0 is acceptable. The muscles are still being trained properly. However, practicing the 2.0 leads into the olympic press so if you really care about pressing a huge amount of weight. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    I also get too tired with 2.0. I dont have enough experience with it, and I take too long to set up. A set of 5 takes me way too long. Im working on my 2.0 form so that I can do the first rep with 2.0 then each rep after utilizing the bounce reflex with 1.0 technique. I like it alot and am finding its the strongest combo for me.
    This is the way to go. The drawback of doing every rep with a 2.0 is that the set takes longer than it has to. If you would just use the eccentric phase of the prior rep for your stretch reflex which means you do not reset at the bottom, the brevity of the set is much better. Brevity is a big deal with the press and BP because rack position is fatiguing. Especially on the press. The drawback of doing every rep 1.0 is the first rep (which has no stretch reflex), and the reset position (which is you taking in air while in skyscraper form with a heavy load over your head). You bleed to the two together so that when you do need to reset, it happens at the bottom (2.0), and when you do not need to reset, you just pop the thing right back up (1.0). Learning to hold your breath for multiple reps is a really good idea for the press and bench press once your technique is descent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    The bar is going from a dead stop every time.
    If you are doing the 2.0 correctly, you are achieving a stretch reflex. The hip motion causes the bar to drop. If you're "tense" and time it right, pressing of that dip gives you a stretch reflex.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kennedy View Post
    If you are doing the 2.0 correctly, you are achieving a stretch reflex. The hip motion causes the bar to drop. If you're "tense" and time it right, pressing of that dip gives you a stretch reflex.
    True, but that doesn't alleviate the amount of time in the set. The press rack position isn't the most comfortable, and the longer you're there the less tense you end up being.

I'd like to enter this discussion by adding that if you train the majority of your presses non-2.0 (so either 1.0 or 1.5) then you have less experience with 2.0, which makes you less suited for a competition in which the 2.0 press is the press you're most likely going to do. To go along with the deadlift analogy, it's sort of like training your deadlift by doing the first rep from a deadstop ("2.0") and doing the rest by bouncing ("1.0") so that you have a mixture of the two ("1.5"). We don't recommend the latter so why recommend the former?

On the other hand, if I recall correctly, the initial reason for moving to the 2.0 style of pressing was that more people were able to do it correctly than 1.0. But if one is able to learn it and perform it effectively, then isn't one better off doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    I'd like to enter this discussion by adding that if you train the majority of your presses non-2.0 (so either 1.0 or 1.5) then you have less experience with 2.0, which makes you less suited for a competition in which the 2.0 press is the press you're most likely going to do. To go along with the deadlift analogy, it's sort of like training your deadlift by doing the first rep from a deadstop ("2.0") and doing the rest by bouncing ("1.0") so that you have a mixture of the two ("1.5"). We don't recommend the latter so why recommend the former?

On the other hand, if I recall correctly, the initial reason for moving to the 2.0 style of pressing was that more people were able to do it correctly than 1.0. But if one is able to learn it and perform it effectively, then isn't one better off doing it?

Depending on where you are in training changes the answers. If a person is competing they aren't doing a lift to maximize anything but weight lifted (not relevant to a novice). Form/technique of choice be damned, which is why sumo is a thing as well as super wide stance squats. The deadlift analogy works well although there is value in using bounce DL to increase volume at higher intensities (also not relevant to a novice). There is value in knowing all of the variations of the press. I guess your best point would be you cant expect to perform better with a variant that you dont train with regularly. Saying I'm bad at 2.0 press in the same sentence that I say I dont train with it often points out the obvious solution. With no real changes in muscle groups like sumo vs conventional, a novice should choose the variation that makes them the strongest overall.

starting strength coach development program
    I think I've settled on the opinion that the 2.0 allows for the most weight to be lifted and the most muscle mass to be used, thereby making it the preferable press variation. And I think those two factors outweigh the "fatigue factor" (whereby one spends slightly more time under the bar).