starting strength gym

Thread: Bench and press check please

Default Bench and press check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

Thanks again for the corrections y'all. The bench is my third set of triples at 155 and the press is my third set of doubles at 125.

Bench
    YouTube

Press
    YouTube

Press: Try to not be so back-light when you film. When you take your grip, don't let go. Keep the tension from before you get under the bar. Keep your wrists straight and bring your elbows a bit more forward. Get much tighter and work on the timining: hip snap, bar bounces, press - there should be no pause in these.

Bench: Drive your legs! Keep your shoulders down. Get tighter.

Try a belt for the press

Bench: you're not tight, your whole body is shaking a lot. It's normal for your arm muscles to twitch under heavy loads, but you should be working on stabilizing your whole body. Most importantly, you need to retract your scapula much more.

Press: work on improving the timing.. too long of a pause, as Jeff noted

You're focusing too much on the downward movement in the press. To utilize the bounce reflex like the above have mentioned, you'll need to let the bar down as opposed to lowering it. There is also no noticeable bracing, take a big breath and set it in your belly. I would vote against a belt until you can figure out proper bracing without it.