starting strength gym

Thread: Follow up squat check

Default Follow up squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Okay, here we go again. It feels better now, I just want to get it perfect.

YouTube

You're still overextending your back. Stop trying to arch and just hold it still.
    Also push your knees out hard at the bottom and keep them out.
    Get off of your toes. Keep the weight over the middle of the foot.

Dont look down so hard. That actually looks painful. Your creating so much cervical flexion that your chest is caving and your upper back is rounding. You then are trying to overcompensate for this by over extending. Its ok to look down to make sure your feet are set, but you dont need to point your face at them to do this, look down and use your peripheral vision

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    You're still overextending your back. Stop trying to arch and just hold it still.
    I have tried to hold it still. It seems when I break at the hips, my lowerback automatically over arches. If I don't arch, my lower back dips immediately. I don't understand what I am doing wrong!

I walk to the bar, place it on the posterior deltoid, tighten my shoulder blades and try to bend the bar, keep my chest up, I unrack, break at the hips and knees and lean forward on the way down. I thought I was supposed to maintain some forward pelvic tilt as I descend.

Is it a flexibility issue? I bought some new shoes to replace my worn out chucks, but it didn't make any noticeable difference.

This may be a waste of time, but here is another video.
    YouTube

I tried to keep everything y'all said in mind. It would be cool if there was someone in my city that could help me out for free. If I were a lesser man, I would be content with the leg press.

I got a cue for you that may help. When you put the bar on your back and after you lift your chest up, think about taking a big breath and shoving your ribs DOWN. Hold that brace throughout the duration of the lift. Actively brace, especially as you get to the bottom position. A belt can help so you can ‘feel’ it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesticle View Post
    I have tried to hold it still. It seems when I break at the hips, my lowerback automatically over arches. If I don't arch, my lower back dips immediately. I don't understand what I am doing wrong!

I walk to the bar, place it on the posterior deltoid, tighten my shoulder blades and try to bend the bar, keep my chest up, I unrack, break at the hips and knees and lean forward on the way down. I thought I was supposed to maintain some forward pelvic tilt as I descend.

Is it a flexibility issue? I bought some new shoes to replace my worn out chucks, but it didn't make any noticeable difference.

This may be a waste of time, but here is another video.
    YouTube

I tried to keep everything y'all said in mind. It would be cool if there was someone in my city that could help me out for free. If I were a lesser man, I would be content with the leg press.
    Learning to squat is not a 1 day thing nor a 1 video thing. It took months of work to and years of adjustment. Your squat really is not that bad either. your knees dont cave and dont move in the hole. You really suffer from lack of bracing and chest collapsing. Watch that video you just sent. you see the bar roll up your back in the bottom indicated by the plates spinning? Your hips are coming up first and your chest is being left behind. Just like starting the move, this should happen at the same time. Your chest is also caving at the bottom as in your hips stop dropping but your chest continues. There are several reasons why this could be a thing but I'd bet it's due to your lack of bracing and relaxing. I can see the thoracic rounding from the moment you unrack the bar. I can also tell that you dont brace well by the amount you relax and breathe in between reps. Which would further hinder you from staying tight in other areas. Once you are loaded there is no relax, and overbreathing tends to be the biggest contributor to bad form in later reps. There is no amount of breathing that brings you back to comfortable, nor should you try and get it. This is not aerobic.

starting strength coach development program
    I think I can, I think I can.

D-did I? I did notice some slight shifting of the weight on my feet. But has my back angle improved? Is my Upper back still collapsing? Am I still putting the C in YMCA with my back?

YouTube