starting strength gym

Thread: Hips rising too fast?

Default Hips rising too fast?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coaches,

I’ve been trying to rectify a knees in on ascent issue for a while, now. I thought it may be due to not pushing my knees out enough, or something not being strong enough, to keep them out. However, comparing my opener and 3rd lift from a recent meet, I think the problem is actually my hips rise a little too fast?

It looks like the weight is thrown ever-so-slightly forward of mid-foot which causes me to bring my knees in to counteract the shift. Would you agree with this? If so, what can be done about it? Searching the forum, I’ve found a few cues, one of which is “aggressively drive your traps against the bar”, is this another way of saying push back against the bar?

Thanks for your time.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by sammoore View Post
    Would you agree with this?
    No.
    Knees in on ascent is a result of you letting your knees come in.
    I can't say much about your hips from that video.

Hey Sam,

Unfortunately, this angle isn't the most helpful for seeing what is going on between your knees and your hips. There is very clearly something going on when it gets heavy for you that is causing a large amount of knee movement. If you could reproduce this video in a training environment that gives us a side/rear oblique angle that would be extremely helpful. I have a suspicion that you are pulling your knees back at the bottom. Get us a better angle and we can check again.

Thanks for the feedback, gents. I'll endeavor to get a better angle when I train over the w/end.