starting strength gym

Thread: pain in hip/quad tendons, squat

Default pain in hip/quad tendons, squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've beens struggling with hip pain/quad tendon pain on the low bar squat forever. So much that I'm considering switching to high bar now. Sometimes I can squat pain-free for one or two sessions, but then it's back again. I'm almost benching as much as I'm squatting now because it's stalled me for so long.

I've posted several form checks, thinking that it was just a normal hip pain that could be fixed by pushing the knees out harder or eliminating kneeslade. Yet none of those things seem to have worked. I'm a 24 year old male with no history of hip problems - this started when my squats got just a little bit heavy

Here is an image I've made that shows exactly where the pain is:

HbCmZd6.jpg

It's a sharp, pinching pain - definitely not muscle soreness - that's aggravated by movement of the leg. Lifting the leg, twisting it or squatting down makes it worse. Also if I sit with my leg hanging from the knee and swing it side to side, that aggravates it. Usually it's really bad after a heavy squat set at the gym and then get's progressively less painful throughout the day. On my rest days I barely notice it unless I'm actively provoking it.

This is the latest video I have of me squatting:

YouTube

Now I know that most people here will be against it, but I'm considering switching to highbar. I know the SS POV on high bar vs low bar and I've made up my mind that I'd rather be a bit weaker and have a more quad dominant squat if that means I can squat pain-free. I've spent a good year doing LP because my squat keeps stalling me.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: It's only on one side (the left)

(Sorry for the many replies, but it seems like I can't edit my post)

The reason I'm mentioning my high bar plans is because I'd like to know if that's know to alleviate hip pain in the squat. I have a theory that it would, since it takes the hip out of the movement (to a certain degree)

If your quad hurts, how will switching to a more quad dominant movement help it?

Anyway, I think you've got a stance issue. I'd narrow the stance a little bit and then work on keeping the knees out. Where do you live?

Copenhagen, Denmark. So unfortunately I'm not near any SS coaches to my knowledge.

I have been working on stance a lot. Last time I made a thread here, I got told to widen it. So I've tried both wide and narrow and both of them cause me pain.

Today I googled a bit, and I found another forum where other people complained about the same type of pain that I'm experiencing - few of them said that a proper warm up fixed the issue.

Then I realized that I'm probably not warming up properly - usually I do a set of 5's with the bar, then three reps with 40 kg, two-three reps with 60, two reps with 80 kg and then I'm at my work weight (about 95 kg now). I realise now that that's not how the book prescripes warm up - but that's how I've always done.

So two questions: Do you think a lack of warm up could be the cause of my never ending hip/quad pain? And if that's the case, should I let the pain calm down for a bit and give squatting a rest, or should I try doing a proper warm up next time and see if it relieves the pain that I'm feeling during/after squats?

Thanks for the reply by the way