starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting and deadlifting- hip pain

Default Squatting and deadlifting- hip pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When I squat and deadlift heavy I am getting sharp pain around my left hip, last time I deadlifted I was limping for 2 days afterward. These squats hurt it but not as much. Walking seems to help, and it heals in a few days. I’m 26 male 90kg body weight. Running a hlm. Can you see anything wrong with these squats? I will film the deadlift tonight. Thank you.

YouTube

there is a good bit of knee movement on some of your reps. Most importantly some of that is forward. I'm guessing you are relaxing your hamstrings some which is why you are good bit below parallel. Regardless of the reason TUBOW might be your ally on this one.

Also look more neutral and keep your chest up. You'll achieve alot more of a brace and less lean.

To expand on Manimal's comments: you are letting your knees cave in and you are in consistant with where they end up in relation to the forward plane of your toes. A tubow can help you cue these better. I also agree that you are looking too far down on the descent. While you lift your head on the ascent, which is generally not good, you are raising it to about where it should have been all along. The fact that your elbows move is a strong indicator that your upper back is not set - read and apply the thoracic extension article.

Put the hooks one notch lower in the rack. This will put you in a better position to get really tifht under the bar from the very begining.

Thank you for your answers. Front squatted this workout so no new squat vid. I deadlifted and right on que the same hip pain. Wanted to do a back of set but couldn’t even break 152.5 off the floor. What do you think? I know I’m over extended at the top, I find it hard to sense when I’m completely stood up..

Deadlift Hip Pain 167.5 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    You're over extending at the top. Set the bar down much, much faster - don't fight it so much.
    Don't drop your hips at the start of the pull.