starting strength gym

Thread: 1st time squat check 110Kg

Default 1st time squat check 110Kg

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello coaches,

I've been struggling abit recently with my squat especially as the load has increased. The main issue I have at the moment is keeping my lumber in thoracic extension. As a consequence, my left shoulder has developed pain that radiates down to the elbow (I think caused by thoracic flexion, shoulders rounding and elbows driving up on the ascent. I've found the following articles very helpful but not sure if I missing something obvious that could be the cause.

Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat | Nick Delgadillo
    The Elbow Problem | Jordan Feigenbaum

I've reduced my working weight from 125kg - 110kg. It's still challenging to keep that upper back flat!
    The camera height is just slightly above hip height but I would really appreciate any advice/cues I could use to fix this.

YouTube

Many thanks!

Sorry, not lumber obviously.

Narrow your stance about half of one foot's width. Read and apply the thoracic extension article. Work on getting your wrists straighter. When you start your ascent, don't shoot your knees back. Keep them where they are (you may need a tubow for awhile).

+1 for Jeff
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
    Hello coaches,

I've been struggling abit recently with my squat especially as the load has increased. The main issue I have at the moment is keeping my lumber in thoracic extension. As a consequence, my left shoulder has developed pain that radiates down to the elbow (I think caused by thoracic flexion, shoulders rounding and elbows driving up on the ascent. I've found the following articles very helpful but not sure if I missing something obvious that could be the cause.

Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat | Nick Delgadillo
    The Elbow Problem | Jordan Feigenbaum

I've reduced my working weight from 125kg - 110kg. It's still challenging to keep that upper back flat!
    The camera height is just slightly above hip height but I would really appreciate any advice/cues I could use to fix this.

YouTube

Many thanks!
    For the record, lumbar extension and thoracic extension are two separate things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Narrow your stance about half of one foot's width. Read and apply the thoracic extension article. Work on getting your wrists straighter. When you start your ascent, don't shoot your knees back. Keep them where they are (you may need a tubow for awhile).
    Thanks Jeff, I might have been overdoing the hips cue, as they are shooting back (aswel as knees) on the drive up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stacks View Post
    For the record, lumbar extension and thoracic extension are two separate things.
    See first post after OP, thanks though