• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Previous thread: Squat From Check SSLP #4

Height: 175cm (5ft 9in)
    BW: 94kg (208 lbs)
    Working weight: 140kg (315 lbs)
    Workout 43, week 15 of SSLP

Notes:
    1)Took 3 days off prior to the workout (celebration,alcohol,not enough rest) which I suspect affected my squats. The weight felt very heavy on the 3rd set. The whole workout was a drag, was feeling very fatigued during.
    2)On the last set I lost my concentration midway because of unexpected bowel movement(yeah...that...)
    3)Last rep,3rd set I stopped leading with the hips and started leading with my chest right on the sticking point.
    4)Can you guys comment on my grind? Am I grinding with good form because I felt a bit of rounding and felt some low back fatigue after the sets.
    5)All constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you!

Well it would be great if that guy didn't walk in front of the camera for 3 of the reps. These look pretty solid. It does look like you are dive bombing them a bit though. Slow down your descent and stay tight and do everything else the same. Nice work

If this is how you taught yourself to squat using a book and some videos, bravo.

The bar move pretty straight, and I dont see you moving into your heels or onto your toes.

Pausing the video of your 2nd set when you are at the bottom looks like the cover of SS3E.

Usually someone with a better eye can find things to work on, but novice to novice, they look pretty good.

Yes I have taught myself the lifts only by reading the book,SS youtube channel,SS forums,filming and critiquing myself. Thanks for the support and tips guys I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for this awesome community!

They look really good to me.

I'm not qualified to critique so I will throw this out there just to see what others think - it looks to me like you slightly extend your lower back right at the start of your movement and then you hold that position until the bottom when it unextends back to a neutral position. I would be interested as to whether anyone agrees or thinks it's absolutely fine the way it is!

Also do you reckon the safeties would be better one hole further up?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-UK View Post
    They look really good to me.

I'm not qualified to critique so I will throw this out there just to see what others think - it looks to me like you slightly extend your lower back right at the start of your movement and then you hold that position until the bottom when it unextends back to a neutral position. I would be interested as to whether anyone agrees or thinks it's absolutely fine the way it is!

Also do you reckon the safeties would be better one hole further up?
    Good points!