starting strength gym

Thread: Press and bench check please

Default Press and bench check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello y'all,

Thanks again in advance for all of the information. It's been really rewarding to have all the advice to work on. The press is my second triple at 125lbs, the bench is my third triple at 155lbs. I'm following up to the previous post listed below. For the most part I've been advised to be way tighter. Additionally, in the bench I'm trying to retract my scapula more and in the press I'm trying to improve my timing. Sorry for the portrait view in the press, my gym space can be pretty cramped sometimes.

Thanks again,
    Tony.

Press
    YouTube

Bench
    YouTube

Bench and press check please

Press: Don't cock your hips back before snapping them forward, it's putting you out of position in relation to the bar. Tighten up more (a belt will help). Push back as you push up.

Bench: Get more leg drive involved, it'll help you be more stable on the bench.

Move your body around the bar not the bar around your body. You are pushing the bar out in front of you and its killing that solid hip drive you are getting despite the things Jeff mentioned. Rep 2 you did it so hard that you over corrected and almost lost the bar backwards. Why are you on triples?

Thanks again for the feedback Jeff. I see what you mean about cocking my hips and will correct. Fortunately, I'm waiting on a 3" and 4" belt right miaow.

I'm going try straps on the bench to try and get some more traction on it. I feel like whenever I push with my legs I just go sliding.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    Move your body around the bar not the bar around your body. You are pushing the bar out in front of you and its killing that solid hip drive you are getting despite the things Jeff mentioned. Rep 2 you did it so hard that you over corrected and almost lost the bar backwards. Why are you on triples?
    Thank you for the feedback Manimal. I see what you mean about how I'm losing the bar and I'll make corrections. I'm doing triples since I kept getting stuck with my 5rm on the press and alternating doubles and triples has gotten me PRs on a biweekly basis since I switched. I realize deficiencies in my form may have caused this to happen prematurely. Thoughts or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by tonystein View Post
    Thank you for the feedback Manimal. I see what you mean about how I'm losing the bar and I'll make corrections. I'm doing triples since I kept getting stuck with my 5rm on the press and alternating doubles and triples has gotten me PRs on a biweekly basis since I switched. I realize deficiencies in my form may have caused this to happen prematurely. Thoughts or suggestions?
    Reset 15 or so lbs. Backing off to a weight you are comfortable moving (and still benefiting from moving) without being entirely focused on just completing the rep will pay off. You dont need to get stuck in the loop of resetting if things are not perfect though. Some solid practice with reps you can handle a bit better will allow you to ingrain better movement patterns.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    Reset 15 or so lbs. Backing off to a weight you are comfortable moving (and still benefiting from moving) without being entirely focused on just completing the rep will pay off. You dont need to get stuck in the loop of resetting if things are not perfect though. Some solid practice with reps you can handle a bit better will allow you to ingrain better movement patterns.
    Got it and will do, thank you for the advice.