starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Everyone,

Please help check my form. Last week i was squatting 125 and strained my lower back muscle (i think my Quadratus laborum), probably cause i lost tightness.
    Since this still feels a little sore/ strained i redcued the weight and wanted to check my form. I have big issues with shoulder flexibility and often have a lot of shoulder pain after squats.

My details:

Male
    Body Weight :120KG
    Squat Weight : 90KG

YouTube

Thanks,
    Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by vinzster View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Please help check my form. Last week i was squatting 125 and strained my lower back muscle (i think my Quadratus laborum), probably cause i lost tightness.
    Since this still feels a little sore/ strained i redcued the weight and wanted to check my form. I have big issues with shoulder flexibility and often have a lot of shoulder pain after squats.

My details:

Male
    Body Weight :120KG
    Squat Weight : 90KG

YouTube

Thanks,
    Vincent

Hey Vincent,

Here is a low bar shoulder stretch from Paul Horn. Should help you out. Also, keep your chin down when you squat.

Low Bar Position Stretch | Paul Horn

Hi Royce,
    Thanks for the tip. I already do this during warm up. I also do some passive hanging and shoulder dislocates daily to help with the flexibility.

Vincent

Hi everyone,
    Have increased weight to 110 kg.

YouTube

My upper back seems a little rounded but not sure if too much. After this round I still have some lower back pains. I think the depth is good enough but would like confirmation.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Vincent

Depth seems good. Can you bring your grip any closer without causing pain? Does it feel like the bar is rolling up your neck as you ascend? The bar doesn't appear to be in a stable position throughout the set. Your stance looks a little wide to me, as well. Can you post a form check that shows you getting under the bar and unracking it?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rettocekim View Post
    Depth seems good. Can you bring your grip any closer without causing pain? Does it feel like the bar is rolling up your neck as you ascend? The bar doesn't appear to be in a stable position throughout the set. Your stance looks a little wide to me, as well. Can you post a form check that shows you getting under the bar and unracking it?
    Previously narrower grip always gave me severe shoulder pain but will try getting narrower again and see how it feels. The bar feels quite stable on my back, I don’t really feel it rolling. Will show unracking video next time. Thanks for the feedback.