starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check 185X1

Default Deadlift Form Check 185X1

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

A single rep is hard to give feedback on,

but don't lean back at the top. Just stand up tall and show off your chest.

Shift your weight back onto your heels a little more. You're too far on your toes.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

In addition:

- Your mid back is not flat, but slightly rounded. "Chest up" hard and lock low back.

- More knee extension at first "push your heels through the ground", with then increasing extension of your hips.

This is by far not a true 1RM for you. Thats why you have a hard time discovering (and believing us) these points yourself (and believing us for them to be decisive).

Record a challenging work set.

Thank you for the feedback's. I am completely open to improvement. I am following LP and probably started conservatively, last single was not meant to be 1RM, I made the mistake of starting form checks without reading this forums stickies.

I wish I could edit thread title to just "Greaps Deadlift Check" (now that I know this is for our work sets only).

Latest Deadlift: YouTube

I'll try more knee extension first next session, I think I got my back more flat as one area of improvement.

The low back is a little more flat, but it's still not great. You're also dropping your hips to try to extend your back which is undesirable.
    Keep your butt higher than you want.

Slow down the ascent.

You're still leaning back at the top.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Think about standing up tall, not leaning back at the top.

You are dropping your hips a hair. Try to freeze your hips once your shins touch the bar and then put your shoulder blades in your back pocket.

215X5

YouTube

I attempted to use more of a leg press style push the floor away move, and I discovered mid foot is closer to my toes than I had thought. Overall I think getting flat in with hips high where I like them is going to require more practice and hamstring flexibility. I didn't necessarily like the feel of the leg press the floor away move, I think my hips were to low. I'm going to drop that cue, and stick with the normal setup, and work on stretching hams.

225X5, Changed my setup some, took a tip from Alan Thralls channel on loading the hamstrings, let me know what you think?

YouTube

I think that's unnecessary. Just do the set up.

You're still leaning back. Just stand tall, and show off your chest.

Shift your weight back on your heels. Your shoulders are too far in front of the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    1) You are not squeezing your back into extension. Rotate your chest through your arms (try to point your nipples to the front wall). Point your balls to the back wall. While your hips should not *drop* during the setup, they can still *rotate* to help extend the back.
    2) Press the floor away like a leg press... you are opening your hips too early (see how the bar has to go around your knees?).
    3) Try to bend the bar around your shins during the 'squeeze' and for the rest of the rep. It will help get your shoulders into the right pulling position.