starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking for some feedback on my Squats. My form has changed some over the last 6-12 mths, and overall, I feel pretty good about where it's at, but do recognize that there is room for improvement. I'm thinking I might benefit from a slightly more horizontal back angle (the bar often seems to be behind mid-foot), and would appreciate input on this or any other improvements I can make. I believe the lateral hip shift is a result of injuries (primarily low back) that I've had over the years, and would be really interested if anyone has some tips on correcting this.

305x8 (2nd set)
    YouTube

305x8 (3rd set)
    YouTube

365x2 (2nd set)
    YouTube

365x3 (3rd set)
    YouTube

405x1
    YouTube

Thanks all.

You are on your heels and the bar is pretty much behind the midfoot every rep. You might need to bend over a hair more and sooner.

The most concerning problem to me is the height of your elbows. They're jacked WAYYYYYY too far up. This is because you have a rounded upper back. Think big, king kong chest. Pin your elbows to your sides. A narrow grip would probably be useful here, too.

You're also slamming into the bottom. Dominate the weight. Don't let it dominate you. Get tighter and control the weight down a little bit.

I also would love to know why you're doing 8's then 2's then a single. What program are you running? Are you programming yourself?

Really appreciate the feedback Matt. I've been trying to incorporate your advice over my last few sessions. Re. the elbows (which is what I'm focusing on most, as it seems to be the biggest issue), I think upper back is the key for me, because everytime I lower my elbow angle, the bar just feels less secure. I suspect that it's from years and years of reading about other people supporting the weight on their wrists/elbows and subsequently developing tendinitis (which I, fortunately, have not), so I have probably over-corrected to avoid that.

I've been trying to be mindful of the "pin your elbows" cue--how do I do this (and lower my elbows) without winding up supporting the weight on my wrists / elbows? Is this just a function of bending over farther?

It is worth noting that I tore some musculature in my upper back (trap, rotator cuff, possible other areas) a long time ago that scarred up real bad, so my upper back mobility is not only limited but uneven, and a wider grip has always helped me to account for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Domjo54 View Post
    It is worth noting that I tore some musculature in my upper back (trap, rotator cuff, possible other areas) a long time ago that scarred up real bad, so my upper back mobility is not only limited but uneven, and a wider grip has always helped me to account for this.
    You want to get your scapulae pinched together and the elbows in a position (without upper back rounding) to make a nice meat shelf to support the bar. Post a rear 3/4 view and/or a shot from the back (including your setup) so we can see what's going on back there.

Do the Paul Horn low bar position stretch. Get your hands closer together. It may take a few weeks.

Your stance looks wide to me.

I don't like your program. Why so many reps so light?

Low Bar Position Stretch | Paul Horn

starting strength coach development program
    It looks to me like you’re lifting your chestnut out of the bottom. Particularly during the last few reps.

I do it all the time... it’s always something to keep in mind. Could be why the bar is going behind mid foot.

Bounce out of the bottom and drive your ass up... #hipdrahve