Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Could I get a form check please?

YouTube

Thanks.

Travis, these don't show glaring issues to me, but there are a few things you can look into. I'll list them in the order of importance, but remember, I'm just the same random internet guy who reviewed your deadlift video a few minutes ago.

1. I think your chest/upper back is collapsing. Keeping a big, superman chest should tighten the whole back up pretty good. Just make sure not to confuse this with standing more upright.
    2. You might try to narrow your grip a little.
    3. Your wrists might be a little overextended.
    4. It's hard to see the bar position, but I'll assume it's good.

Hi Travis:

I see several things.

First, make sure your chest is set before you leave the rack. Here's a video that should help: Upper back position.
    Second - you can lean over a tad more. These two together will require your back to remain rigid throughout the lift, and will clear up additional issues.
    Last, knees out. It will make depth easier to achieve.

Good lifting and keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    1. I think your chest/upper back is collapsing. Keeping a big, superman chest should tighten the whole back up pretty good. Just make sure not to confuse this with standing more upright.
    2. You might try to narrow your grip a little.
    ^ This... bring your grip in more and make sure that bar is LOCKED IN when you unrack it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you collapsing your thoracic spine because you're assuming that's what's meant by 'leaning over more?' Just want to understand what's causing it - is it intentional, ignorance or something else?

Thanks guys.

I have been working on keeping my upper back from collapsing but I was definitely raising my chest after unracking the bar. That video was good thanks.

Also my grip is as narrow as I can get it with thumbs on top. I do better with thumbs around but my wrists were getting beat up so I was trying to see if I could get into a reasonable position with thumbs on top. I’m going to try wearing wrist wraps tomorrow and go back to the thumbs around position to try and get tighter without the wrist pain.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TWesley View Post
    Thanks guys.

I have been working on keeping my upper back from collapsing but I was definitely raising my chest after unracking the bar. That video was good thanks.

Also my grip is as narrow as I can get it with thumbs on top. I do better with thumbs around but my wrists were getting beat up so I was trying to see if I could get into a reasonable position with thumbs on top. I’m going to try wearing wrist wraps tomorrow and go back to the thumbs around position to try and get tighter without the wrist pain.
    Sorry didn't reply sooner. If what you say is true, that this is the narrowest you can go with the SS-style grip, I wouldn't use thumbs around, especially since you were having wrist pain.

However, see if you can move your grip in after a couple warmup sets. As a 5'6" guy (though I have long arms for my height), I have my hands just about touching my power rack uprights on the first warmup set, but I'm able to move them in as I warm up and stuff gets looser.