• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Could I get a form check please? 5x230

YouTube

Thanks,
    Travis

Hey Travis, these observations are listed in the order of importance, and represent my opinion of your deadlift technique versus the SS-described technique. However, remember I'm just a random internet dude:

1. At 4:13 in the linked video (see below, time stamped at the beginning of the deadlift setup instructional, 3:05) note how SSC Alan Thrall squeezes the back into proper extension. Then look at your video and note the lack of this. As the weight goes up, this will become extremely important. Use the bar to pull yourself into this position. If lighter weights come off the floor while you're trying to do this, you're likely doing this at least somewhat correctly.

2. See 1 again. It's that important.

3. I think you stance is too narrow, though Alan's looks narrow to me, too, in the video I've linked below.

4. Make sure your arms aren't bent at all.

5. Try not to move the bar once you set up with the middle of the foot directly under it. I'm not sure there's a net change in position but it's definitely moving a little on some of those reps.

YouTube

I agree with Russ on his observations.
    I just wanted to add:
    It looks to me that you are pulling the bar with your hands @ the top, right before you stand up tall with your proud chest, Just let the hands hang. As Rip says: "Think of your hands as pieces of ropes" and the bar is just handing from those ropes, The ropes (hands) should be straight with no bending, no slack.

Not trying to pile on here, but you spend a lot of time hanging out catching your breath at the bottom. Particularly on your first 2 reps. Take your breath, hold the valsalva and squeeze that bar off the floor. You end up tuckering yourself out taking 3,4,5 or more breaths at the bottom. Take one big breath and squeeze it!