starting strength gym

Thread: Twinge of pain during bench.

Default Twinge of pain during bench.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When I'm benching I get a pain in my upper back I think in the lat area. It's always on the left. It's like a cramp. I carry on benching and it never gets to the point where I need to stop, but it might as the load increases ? Next day I will feel it is a bit of muscle soreness-again, it's not bad at all, I can only feel it if I do a bit a core vacuuming, otherwise it's a minor dull ache. It isn't impingement and it's not in my shoulder. Any ideas ? Do I just keep going as I am and hope it doesn't pop ?

Hi,

probably redundant to point this out, but make sure your safeties are in the right place. It's probably nothing, but should the twinge of pain become a sudden failure, you don't to have the bar slamming on your throat.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi,

probably redundant to point this out, but make sure your safeties are in the right place. It's probably nothing, but should the twinge of pain become a sudden failure, you don't to have the bar slamming on your throat.

IPB
    No safeties on the benches, the weight isn't yet that high but I leave the collars off just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    No safeties on the benches
    Your neck, your rules. I have no problem with that.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Your neck, your rules. I have no problem with that.

IPB
    No, I mean there are no safeties provided on the bench in the gym. That's not my rules, it's just how it is. If there were safeties I would use them. I'm loading fractionally and making sure I can really handle the weight before starting the heavy set through the warm up. If anything pops I have the option of tipping the weights.

Weirdly I quite like the danger of bench pressing without safeties. It's the closest I can get to solo rock climbing (without a rope). There's a certain sense of satisfaction that comes from being certain that I can manage the effort. The pain clearly is something that concerns me when doing that-I'm not struggling, nor grinding with whatever weight I'm using.

starting strength coach development program
    Could be any number of things. How is your arch when you bench? If you’re arching hard and aren’t yet used to it you could expect some cramping/discomfort but it should improve with time.

And definitely bench w safeties. My gym doesn’t have them on the bench setup either so I just use a squat rack. Saved my ass more than once!

Happy lifting bud.