starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check Please

Default Deadlift Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all. I'm 31, male, 5'10" and 211lbs as of this morning.

A little back story... I started LP summer 2017. It was going pretty well, and I was consistently adding 5lbs each training session. I missed my first DL at 290x4 (missed rep 5). I had a business trip and used that as an excuse to coward my way out of training. Then other excuses were piled on, resulting in my pussing out for the months of Nov and Dec. My birthday happens to be Jan 1, so I used the opportunity to kick my ass into getting back under the bar. I did a 20% deload from my previous weights, and did the full 5x3 session and got myself nice and sore for the rest of the week. I've been continuing to add 5lbs each session since returning to training. My DL is now at 245lb and this morning it kicked my ass. It felt harder than the 290lb I topped out at previously.

I train in the back of my garage. It's unheated (except for a space heater I use when training) and was in the 30s this morning. Stated the morning off with a scoop of C4 pre-workout. No food. I was using lifting shoes, 7mm knee sleeves, 4inch belt and a pair of mechanix gloves (because the barbell is freaking cold).

As for the 3 questions...
    1. It was DL, so just one set, but I've been following the SS app, so did the 5 warmup sets. Waited 3 minutes before the work set.
    2. 5lb jumps per session
    3. Possible issues here... I'm eating around 3200 cal a day, 200g protein and gaining weight. Sleep-wise I got about 7 hours last night. I generally feel best with 8-9, and my wife has trouble sleeping which can effect my quality of sleep. Other stressers include the impending arrival of child number 2 in March.

Here is the video... YouTube

My (possibly back-ass-wards thoughts on it) : I think I was able to keep my back in extension pretty well. I completed 4 reps and had to catch my breath before rep 5. Looking at the vid, my bar path looks a little drunk. Vertical, but by no means razor straight. Rep 5 really felt like a grind, but doesn't look as slow/grinding as it felt.

*Additional note on video - it's not up to par with the video posting recommendations. When standing up, it cuts off at my chest. I'm working in a fairly tight space. I'll have to experiment with camera positions to get better video in the future.

I appreciate any feedback you guys can provide. Thanks for taking the time to look.

One more note, previously I was training at night. This time around I'm training in the AM because it fits better with my family life.

There's an awful lot going on here. Ditch the gloves for starters. The bar path was not vertical at all. Your stance was too wide, the bar starts too far away from you, you take too long between reps, and you aren't using knee extension to break the bar from the floor.

YouTube

Watch this video and replicate the 5 steps exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by rettocekim View Post
    There's an awful lot going on here. Ditch the gloves for starters. The bar path was not vertical at all. Your stance was too wide, the bar starts too far away from you, you take too long between reps, and you aren't using knee extension to break the bar from the floor.

YouTube

Watch this video and replicate the 5 steps exactly.
    Thanks for the response. I'll be busy studying that video for a while...