starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First post, please note if I fuck any of this up. Read both books about a year ago and have referred back multiple times. Work/travel has kept me out of a consistent routine unfortunately for the majority of the time, trying to break that cycle.

From this morning, 3 vids for 3 sets of 5 (videos are in order of the sets) @ 190. This felt better than 180 the other day but not a strong as 175 before that.

Looking for any input, harsh or otherwise. Apologies for the black pants, early mornings are not my clearest thinking time.

First vid is from the side, next two are rear 45. Also wondering where I can move the phone to make this a better visual check (up/down/front/back/etc). Might need a sticky mount to go on the mirror as there isn't much room here.

Also since I don't see an edit post option, this is at body weight 158 lbs.

Rear Oblique (the last two) are the right angle for filming. Go landscape mode, not portrait if you can.

first thing - I'd get proper shoes and order a belt if you haven't already. - these will help.
    second thing - you're looking straight down on every rep. Find a spot 3-6 feet in front of you and don't avert your eyes from there.
    third - your knees are sliding forward a little at the bottom. get them set 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down, and keep them there.
    fourth - you're leading with your chest; more hips!
    last - try inching your hands in and getting a tighter shelf.

Not bad, keep up the good work!

Noted on all accounts, thanks for the input. Main things I have noticed over the past few weeks:

Agree on the knees sliding, been trying to force myself to hold them steady after halfway but haven't solved that one.

Same on eyes down. I feel like I have a tendency to rock forward to my toes when I get my gaze up - what's the counter que there to fight that?

Will work on the rest today and see what happens, thanks. Need to go try on shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Speez View Post

Same on eyes down. I feel like I have a tendency to rock forward to my toes when I get my gaze up - what's the counter que there to fight that?
    Find a spot 3-6 feet in front of you and don't avert your eyes from there.

Sets two and three because for some reason everytime I upload one, it crops out my feet. These are at 195.

Set 3 I definitely feel like I had my head down again, eyes were "up" 3-6' out but was looking out the top of my eye-balls.

Pushed hard to get my hands in a bit closer. Also tried to wait on the chest and not get ahead of my hips. I'm sure its the same for most everyone but usually when focusing on one cue intently, another suffers a bit (hips, head/eyes up, knees out and not too far foward, etc).

The vast majority of the strain I feel during the lift is in my low back, almost nothing else feels limiting. Think my knees are still moving a little forward though at the end.

Right to post the deadlift here too, or separate thread for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Amitchell View Post
    Hey thanks. Have read through it a time or two before and while trying to focus on those cues, know I'm definitely not there with it yet.

With regards to the thoracic extension, I find that focusing intently on that feels like I'm putting my lumber spine in extreme extension and finding the balance point so I don't rock my hips forward and do the Instagram model pose can be a challenge. Any cues/thoughts for hitting that sweet spot for the proud chest without excessively extending my lumber spine?

And I guess for that matter, for the purposes of this context what really constitutes excessive lumber extension? I already have a noticeable degree of anterior pelvic tilt in my posture that I've been trying to work on so I may be hyper-conscious of that to begin with.

Much appreciated, thanks.

The thoracic extension is achieved before you even step the bar out of the rack. Watch the the setup of REALLY strong ssc’s like Jordan and Austin, they’re literally shoving the bar into their back. Make sure your grip is as tight as possible and your chest is screwed up hard before receiving the bar.

Hope this helps!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks mate, usually catch something by them daily on IG.

Question on the thoracic extension - how much is it interwined with scapular retraction (squeezing shoulder blades together). Should they be two distinct actions that you can perform independently, or are they inherently linked and come hand in hand. I find they're happening together, but if its something to think about as individual intents, I'll work on that as well.