Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift more than i squat

Default Deadlift more than i squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    squat - YouTube

deadlift (365lbs) - YouTube

well, here is what seems to be my millionth time posting a thread like this.

my only question in regards to my squat video is if the degree of butt wink is something to be concerned about. Also, sorry the reps are very fast and not very controlled i didnt really intend for that to happen.

Now my deadlift. I've been struggling for a couple months now to fix my deadlift. Long story short, I used to pull with bad form basically using all of my back which as you could assume means I never pulled with a neutral spine. Fast forward to now i've been spending months rekindling my deadlift form and i've gotten tremendous help from all of you in previous threads. Ive been doing canditos 6 week int program and still pull much less than I squat. I recently squatted 440 lbs but today failed a 430lb deadlift single. It's becoming frustrating because of my deadlift being so weak after learning to fix my setup and pull with a neutral spine. When I focus on my queues, and keep a neutral spine ive found that im much weaker in my posterior chain probably due to pulling with such horrible form for many years and downright not even engaging my hamstrings/glutes. How do I get my deadlift back above my squat with good form and what deadlift variations and supplemental accessory movements should I be doing to get better at engaging my posterior chain and keeping a neutral spine when I pull. It's very depressing deadlifting 60 lbs less than what I was and doing much less than I squat at that.

just realized I meant for the title to say squat more than I deadlift... its been a rough day

One last thing, i remembered this video pete rubish posted about deadlifts saying that he feels worrying about deadlift form too much is detrimental to getting stronger at it. What are your guys' opinion on this notion because like I said in my OP, ever since I've been focusing on correcting my deadlift I have been struggling to get stronger at it. I've pulled 495 before but it was with what would be considered bad form. I feel like when I focus on just being explosive off the floor I can be really strong, but when I try to keep a neutral spine I end up thinking about a ton of queues before I lift and the overall pull feels incredibly awkward and slow.

YouTube

Re; your squat. Search “butt wink” on this forum for some fun reading. But, really, cut an inch off your depth.

Re; your deadlift. Slow. Down. On set up and on subsequent reps. Make sure you’re starting from a dead start each rep and make sure you’re following the five step set up discussed on this site and in the book. You’re plenty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Goldstein View Post
    Re; your squat. Search “butt wink” on this forum for some fun reading. But, really, cut an inch off your depth.

Re; your deadlift. Slow. Down. On set up and on subsequent reps. Make sure you’re starting from a dead start each rep and make sure you’re following the five step set up discussed on this site and in the book. You’re plenty strong.
    My deadlift has slowed down significantly. I used to just grab it and pull like I hated the bar. The queues i think of are the five step set up because its been pointed out to me everytime I post here but when I think about them too much I feel like I lose momentum when pulling. Also you say im plenty strong but ive been lifting for 6 years and still cant deadlift with proper form which to me seems kind of pathetic. I've never had any coaching available. I went to a smallish high school and played football so coaches never bothered to teach proper form nor do I know if they even knew proper form. Im just confused because ive read several times on the Q&A section with Mark where he says that fixing your form on DL should make you feel stronger and pull stronger but in my case its only done the exact opposite, makes me feel more awkward and far more weaker off the floor.

I think you’ll get to your previous weights in no time. Your form looks much better than previously. I think you can take the slack out of the bar before you pull better. Also, my brother had told me he was deadlifting 450. It was the worst deadlifts I had ever seen in my life. He had to drop to a weigh to where he could do it right 225!! He is back over 400 again but it took time because it felt awkward, he had different mechanics, bounced them, never flattened his backetc etc. his back doesn’t hurt anymore and he is getting back to where he was with really nice technique

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    I think you’ll get to your previous weights in no time. Your form looks much better than previously. I think you can take the slack out of the bar before you pull better. Also, my brother had told me he was deadlifting 450. It was the worst deadlifts I had ever seen in my life. He had to drop to a weigh to where he could do it right 225!! He is back over 400 again but it took time because it felt awkward, he had different mechanics, bounced them, never flattened his backetc etc. his back doesn’t hurt anymore and he is getting back to where he was with really nice technique
    thats good to hear man hopefully i will share the same success your brother did. It's very frustrating because the deadlift is quickly becoming my most hated lift. No matter what i do it seems like im never deadlifting with proper form. Ive dropped my working weights significantly to ingrain the proper motor pattern and to work my way back up but i still feel very weak at it. Im considering doing a deadlift specific program such as the coan/phillipi program just to have a period of time to really work on my deadlift and prioritize it. My squat is only getting stronger but its not carrying over to my deadlift strength

You’re doing great man. Keep at it. Post as many form checks here as you need

Just calm down. You’re fine. You’re stronger than me (for now), and I’ve been trying this shit longer than you have. quit focusing on what you aren’t and keep focused on what you can control.

It takes the time it takes and doing it right is better than lifting even heavier incorrectly.

You will feel stronger when your form is fixed, because you’re pulling more efficiently. But, you have a ways to go. So don’t expect it overnight.

Patience and persistence.

starting strength coach development program
    thanks for the kind words and advice fellas its most appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast