starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all, thanks for veiwing. I just started lifting 12/25/17. I have not used a barbell in over 20 years and it shows.

38 year old
    6'4
    285lbs

225x5 last set on that day

205x5 last set on that day

I am having bad hip pain in both hips while squating. I have read several post about hip pain, so not asking for advise about that. I was wondering if yall can spot something I am overlooking that might be causing it. Thanks yall for any adivse.

You’re trying to high bar a low bar.

Get knees out and lean over. Don’t look at yourself in the mirror.

Re; hips. Can’t see anything on video. Does it get better as you get more warm? Or does it get worse as the session goes on?

Anterior or posterior? Or on one side?

Sharp or dull?

Damn I see it now, I have watched a lot of videos on here and compared them to mine, I thougth I was leaning over til you pointed it out to me. Sorry. I will decrease the weight and try again.

Before doing any kind of mobility or warmup I use that hip circle band for about 5 mins of walking and side to side steps.

If I pull my knees to my chest while standing my hips start hurting, while squating the pain is intense at the bottom, body weight to working weight it does not get to feeling better for at least 24 hours. The pain seems to be the very front of my hip. Its a sharp pain while squating and just a dull when standing or sitting.

Healing ASIS (hip flexor) tendonitis I think it might be this.

A- I wouldn’t take any weight off the bar.

B- someone more qualified than me can help address your hip pain, but I would urge you to NOT diagnose yourself and convince yourself of something you may not have.

I think your stance is probably a bit wide. Narrow it a bit and see if that helps

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks yall, I will play around with my stance and see. I tried a body weight squat tonight while at work and it was like I couldn't come out of the bottom without it feeling like both hips were coming out of the socket. When I was a kid my right one came out while playing baseball rounding first. I am not sure maybe its just weak muscles around my hips that help hold it in there. As stated I have not touched a barbell in over 20 years.