starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Morning coaches,
    I have just started squatting again after a month long layoff due to surgery
    Would really love some help here.
    YouTube

The beginning of your squat needs a lot of work, and it throws you off for the whole movement. I’m gonna consider your first two and work from there because I think the rest just get more sloppy because of how loose your getting after every rep.

Watch the first rep, your hips and knees should break at the same time instead of the hips exploding back, and the back angle needs to be set more horizontal very early in the squat.

Initiate the squat with two motions: set your low back flat(FLAT not hyperextended), and canter forward over midfoot(your starting out just behind) from there just focus on staying over mid foot the entire movement. The knees should travel forward quick and be set in position about half way down. A more horizontal back angle should help you keep tighter out of the bottom, especially if you get your low back set better.

It may be a good idea to deload 13% and fix these issues, then take another good run. Make sure you set your low back, get more bent over quicker, and let the knees break at the same time as the hips rather than the hips-then-knees currently displayed. see how far that takes us. Good luck!

Yeah,exactly what I was thinking,I will deload to like 120 kg and work my way up from there.Thanks a lot.

The bar also looks like it’s rolling up your back out of the bottom, likely as a result of what was already described above.

Try to keep your upper back straighter. Think “big chest”. This helps me. However you want to ensure you don’t lift the chest out of the bottom.

I’d also try cueing yourself to push you’re knees out hard. My knees used to slam forward like yours are too and that cue certainly helped.

Good luck under the bar bud

That is a huge pain in the ass too,it seems like at heavy weights I can't build a decent shelf on my back,and that makes the bar shifts around like crazy,maybe I should try to "lift my elbows",what do you think?

Your elbows look good, having them too high isn't necessary or what's recommended, so I wouldn't try to bring them up a whole lot more than they are already. Other reasons why the bar might be shifting around are that your grip is too wide (doesn't look like this is the case for you) or that the bar is the wrong position (this looks like the problem to me). It's a little hard for me to see where the bar is on your back but it looks a little high and it looks like it rolls up which is another indicator that it's a bit too high. Try shifting it down just slightly from where you normally have it before unracking it.

Yeah lifting your elbows higher will only serve to further round your upper back. Focus on a big heat at the top, pull your elbows to your sides and make that structure at the top of the squat tight AF.

When you focus on the hips back vs chest forward to get that back angle locked in this should also improve.

Do some supermans on the ground so you can feel what lumbar extension feels like. Then do that under load. Brace hard. Big chest. Pin your elbows at your sides. Knees and hips at the same time.

Ok here we are with my first try,it's not perfect,but I need to know if I fixed something.
    YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Your depth is spotty, in part because you aren't controlling your knees as well as you should. don't let them shoot so far forward as you get near the bottom. Take a few kilos off the bar and work on staying tighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast