starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi folks.

Eventually posting my next video. I've been focusing on set-up, gaze and elbow position as instructed, and also been trying to focus on keeping the weight over midfoot throughout the lift. But...still feel like there's instability/movement of the bar when I hit the bottom.

Link to previous thread:Squat Form Check - Sore Elbows

Quote Originally Posted by Wayney B View Post
    Hi folks.

Eventually posting my next video. I've been focusing on set-up, gaze and elbow position as instructed, and also been trying to focus on keeping the weight over midfoot throughout the lift. But...still feel like there's instability/movement of the bar when I hit the bottom.

Link to previous thread:Squat Form Check - Sore Elbows

I’m no form pro but it looks like your driving from the knees and not the hips which is causing the bar to shift forward as you rise.

You need to get to proper depth, which in your case is a function of your thighs getting in the way. You need to shove your knees out aggressively.

You do not need to pause at the bottom; doing so is only exacerbating your issues with balance because instead of coming straight up, your hips go back. This pitches the bar forward, shoots your knees back and causes the good mornings at the tail end of this set.

In sum: get your knees out hard, and learn to use the stretch reflex to generate the necessary hip drive.

1. your break with your hips then your knees this is causing your hips to shoot back farther then needed. this then makes you adjust but having a more flat angle versus vertical to keep the bar over mid foot. you want to break at the hips and knees at the same time think more of sitting down then sitting back.

2. your back is tight through the whole set also making you round more on the way up. squeeze your shoulders together trying to kiss your elbows when preparing for your descent after your big breath.

3. on the way up remember to " stay in our hips" your half of your body from your hips up is rigid and all your force is coming through your hips up from your lower body like being pulling by a chain.