starting strength gym

Thread: I fixed my horrible hip shift/corkscrewing, but now my depth is iffy!

Default I fixed my horrible hip shift/corkscrewing, but now my depth is iffy!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone!

I squatted 6 months with horrible form, my hips were shifting to the right like crazy, my body was corkscrewing etc. It took many months to figure out what was wrong, and it was two things: 1) A short right leg. 2) A lack of tightness.

So now I have fixed these two issues, and my form looks much better which makes me excited I'm using a shim in my right shoe, and I'm using a 3" belt instead of a 4" belt. The smaller belt really helps me get tight like a motherfucker.

But.... now my depth has gotten very iffy. I know that the hip crease must drop below the knee cap to achieve proper depth, but I still have problem to judge my depth.

Bigger image if you click the link Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    depth123.jpg

Very challenging set for me here:

I *think* I have just enough depth in the picture, but in the video I think I'm on the wrong side of borderline.

I have tried to use a wide stance, I can get deeper with this for sure, but at the cost of loosing my tightness, which makes me concerned that my old horrible form will creep back! It feels like a day and night difference in tightness if I move my feet just 2 inches wider (in the negative way). I can try to point my toes out a touch more and see if it helps. What else is there to do to get deeper?

Take care
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep, you're shallow. Can you get a video from the rear 45 degree angle? I think you have an issue with your stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Yep, you're shallow. Can you get a video from the rear 45 degree angle? I think you have an issue with your stance.
    Hm, damn! Don't have any video from a rear 45, but this picture shows my stance width Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I'm pretty sure I've been able to reach depth with this stance before, but that might have been cus it was lighter weights. When the weight is heavy I think my depth suffers because even if I cue myself to bury it, I just can't get any deeper while remaining tight.

So the only thing that remains is to widen the stance about 1 inch and/or point the toes out more?

I also wonder if I should go back to my 4" belt? The 3" sits tighter around my floppy stomach and it gets me tighter because of this.

Widen the stance and make sure to drive your knees out.

starting strength coach development program
    Hello again,

I tried wider stance but I was only getting to parallel, and the wide stance made me feel extremely loose because I can't brace properly with a wide stance for some reason.

So I did my narrower normal stance again, but cued myself to have a quick ascent and to BURY it, I think these are below parallel? YouTube