starting strength gym

Thread: Is my back flat - deadlift noob

Default Is my back flat - deadlift noob

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Im new to deadlifting. Im following Mark Rippotoes 5 step advise but Im really struggling to lift my chest up higher than what you can see in the two videos below.

Can you please take a look and tell me if my back is flat and if not what I can do to make it flatter

Second attempt: Untitled on Vimeo

First attempt: Untitled on Vimeo

Im 6'1 and weigh 80kg. I was over a 100kg around a year ago but lost weight via keto. Now gone back to a normal carb based diet to build muscle and strength. Im currently in the skinny fat phase.

I can bench 80kg for reps, row 70kg, OHP 55kg, and squat 95kg. Also do dips and pulls up and face pulls. I have always avoided deadlifts but decided to incorporate it. Im starting very light, 60kg to get my form in check.

Anyone?

It looks like there's a little rounding in your lower back to me but I'm no expert. Are you driving your knees out enough to give your hips room?

I am driving knees out but how much should we drive it out?

the back angle is ok, not great, not bad. Squeezing up harder - to the point of discomfort (not pain) - is the only thing that really hones in on the cue you asked about.

Your knees drive out into your arms, so long as doing so does not move the bar.

Pull more slack out of the bar before the ascent (feel heavy in your hands and feet) and lower the weight faster (while still maintaining control).

Good work!

New attempt. Let me know your thoughts

Untitled on Vimeo

You’re overthinking a bit.

You’re (kinda) doing the 5 step set up, but you end up doing every step twice, wasting a ton of time and energy.

Be deliberate, confident and smooth in the steps.

Again, don’t move the bar, chest up, feel heavy in the hands, set the weight down faster over the mid foot.

starting strength coach development program
    Just worried about keeping a straight back. Lifting the chest up as hard as I can. Also pointing my ass to the wall.

Does it look straight to you.