starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check #3

Default Squat Form Check #3

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone.

Previous thread:Squat form check

I tried very hard to pay heed to previous advice given on depth, knee position and breaking at hips & knees simultaneously. (For what it's worth these felt like my best squats to date.)

You are basically doing a high bar squat with the bar lower on your back. Either pull the rack away from the wall or turn around so you face the other way. Get under the bar more bent over, with your head down and hips back. When you start the descent, break at the knees and hips simultaneously and then aim your chest at the ground. The knees should not come much forward of the toes and they should get there by the time you're halfway down. Keep them there until you're halfway back up. Use a tubow.

Where do you live?

Hello Jeff.

Thanks for the feedback. I can actually get in a good position with the rack the way it is. I just overdo getting the grip/thoracic extension right that I sometimes over extend.

When you say it's essentially an HB squat, do you mean in terms of knee position only?

I live in Aberdeen, Scotland.

You're just generally more upright than you ought to be. Now that I've watched the video on a computer monitor instead of my phone, you might even have the bar a little high on your back, but it's hard to tell from the angle. I'm suggesting changing your setup in the rack so you can actually get into a low bar position better before you unrack - this will put your head and shoulders more in front of the bar than above it and your hips back.

Ok. I’ll work on this. Thanks again.