starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form critique 405x2x3

Default Deadlift form critique 405x2x3

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi 21 M 161lbs 5 ft 10.

Did not feel like doing 5's with 380 this week so decided I would do 2x3 with 405 instead. Speed was not 100% but felt pretty good. Really trying to dial in my diet and gain some weight since im still pretty darn skinny. I feel like my upper back is rounding however I can't really tell. Back feels great, and I did back off sets with 335 after for extra volume.

video-1517252779 - Streamable

video-1517253138 - Streamable

Are you having a seizure or something before you pull? You'll have better form and be better able to set (and keep) your back in extension if you just set up and get tight instead of flailing around. Also, if you're supposed to do 380x5, just do 380x5.

Thanks for the quick reply; Yeah its a habit for some reason I feel stronger when i flail my hips back and forth, im not sure if its actually doing anything for me. I know I strayed off course i'll go back to regular 5's next week, I was just bored I guess of doing 5's. When I watch it you are right it does look quite awkward like I flail around.

Yeah. I think you'll have better back control without it and you'll be able to keep your hips positioned better. I'm working on breaking the habit of stretching my hamstrings by lifting my hips before I pull. Every time I do it, I end up dropping my hips too low.

Also, don't push your hips through so much when you get to the top. As Jeff mentioned, get into your set up (as stated in the Blue Book), squeeze the bar off the floor and finish in a normal standing posture.

starting strength coach development program
    Appreciate the feedback; Will definitely try fixing my setup and top position in the weeks to come and report back!