starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Technique- How am I doing?

Default Squat Technique- How am I doing?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    M / 32 / 6’2 / 203lbs

Criticism/tips needed.

I started SSLP a month ago, might have started my weight too high, so yesterday I tried finding the correct starting weight and settled on 105 where the bar noticeably slowed. It felt easy, maybe too light.

The two linked videos are a set from Jan 29 of 180 lbs (this was after stalling on 190) and the other is from Jan 31 at 105 lbs.

I def need to get my head down and I think the bar needs to be lower on my back and maybe need my back more horizontal. Squat shoes coming soon. Thanks.

I only watched the heavier set. Stop looking up. Look at the floor 4-5 feet in front of you and lock your gaze on that spot. Your back angle is too vertical. Break simultaneously at the knees and hips, let your knees come forward and out, and BEND OVER. Cut two inches off the depth. Drive your ass straight up out of the bottom instead of lifting your chest.

So, these are not low bar back squats. The bar is too high on your back, you are too vertical, and too loose. Where do you live?

I’m working on getting the bar lower on my back. It might be a flexibility issue. Also having a hard time feeling exactly where it’s supposed to sit. Posterior deltoid I think or below scapula.

Live just outside Austin, TX. There’s a SS coach here if that’s what you were thinking. I might do that soon if I can’t improve through these forums.

Man, bite the bullet and get an in person session. It will be a far more expeditious use of your time and effort. Based on your squats, the rest of your lifts will need the help, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseD View Post
    Live just outside Austin, TX. There’s a SS coach here if that’s what you were thinking. I might do that soon if I can’t improve through these forums.
    Do it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseD View Post
    I’m working on getting the bar lower on my back. It might be a flexibility issue. Also having a hard time feeling exactly where it’s supposed to sit. Posterior deltoid I think or below scapula.

Absolutely get some coaching if you have one close. Consider yourself lucky. I don't even think we have one in my state. Anyways, yeah.. lots of little things and a couple big things going on here that a coach in person will definitely be able to help with. Don't get discouraged.. it'll come along with the right guidance. Good luck and nice setup you have there.

I did bite the bullet and just signed up for a private coaching session with a SS coach in Austin. Haven't booked the date yet but hopefully they'll have an opening soon. Definitely feel lucky to be near a coach.

Looking at my videos after reading everyone's comments, it's clearer that the bar is too high on my back, which might make all the differecne and make getting more horizontal possible. I'll shave off an inch or two at the bottom also. Head down for sure. That will be a new cue. I appreciate all of the comments.

starting strength coach development program
    Looking at you, you may need to widen your grip some at first in order to get the bar where it should ride. If so, work on narrowing the grip as you warm up. For your gaze, put something on the floor at which you can aim your face. Think of sitting back, not sitting down.