starting strength gym

Thread: Squat, Press, DL basic form check

Default Squat, Press, DL basic form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I'm posting a log (Cycling & Commercial Gym Strength) over in the General Training Logs and have eventually managed to get some sets filmed. Here are a couple form videos, not ideal quality and angles but it's the best I could do by myself at this rack.

Looking for any basic form errors in my lifts, please be as critical as possible.

Squat 70kg (154lbs) 3x5 Front, Side
    Press 45kg (99lbs) 3x5 Front, Side
    DL 85kg (187lbs) 3x5 Side

Cheers!

I can't see the side view of your squats (something about blocked content). The front view is pretty useless as it mostly just shows your crotch.

Your press is generally kind of sloppy. You really need to get yourself set better, get tighter, get your chest up. Work on starting from a dead stop at the bottom each time at least, ideally work on bringing in the hip snap of the 2.0 press. Lock out.

Deadlilft, also kind of soft, especially on your lock-out.

Thanks for looking Jeff, really appreciate it!

I've re-uploaded the side-view squat with some free youtube-music, it was blocked due to copyright on the music in the gym. Apologies for the bad angles on some of the videos.

I think I will have to look into the Press 2.0, I realised looking at these videos that my "strict" press sees me bouncing and bending at the knees too often and I think in part, this is due to taking one breath and rushing to complete all 5 reps so not taking time to set myself up for fear of suffocating.

Can see what you mean about deadlifts too, I'll bare that in mind next time I DL. I think these look rushed as well because I was conscious of my phone being in a walkway for filming, you'll notice I go straight to grab the camera despite being exhausted.

I'll need to find some way to get a better angle on filming, at the other racks it should be less of a problem as there is things to balance the phone on.

Your squats are also very loose. Read the thoracic extension article on here. Locl your knees, slow your decent, bend over more and look down. Get a different belt.

Where do you train?

I'll get on that right away, eager to get my form safe before the weights are getting heavy.
    Do have a better belt which I just used last session and felt good.
    I train at a cheap Commercial gym (Xercise4less), not great but convenient locations and each have a few racks/platforms.
    Cheers

starting strength coach development program
    Also I have wrongly been trying to raise both my elbows as high as possible when squatting which I think has been completely countering my "chest up". Think that's causing me to lose (or never have any) tightness