starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee slide

Default Knee slide

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Morning coaches.
    A couple of weeks ago I posted a form check and I've been told that I had a pretty bad knee slide that I've been trying to correct.
    YouTube
    Am I still fucking up?It's getting really frustrating.

Yeah, still fucking up.

Try this: Jump.

Just do it. Don't think about it. A nice deep jump.

Now, notice how your hips went back, your knees came forward, and your chest came down, all at the same time? That's exactly what we want in the squat. Your knees are not coming forward at the very beginning of the squat. Knees and nipples have magnets in them, and need to meet.

There's some other things wrong too. Notably, your wrists.

I had problems with the bar slipping of my back on my heavy set,so I decided that maybe a thumbs-around grip was a better idea.
    Should I think about "knees out"?
    What other things I'm doing wrong?My lower back is rounding,maybe?
    Thank you a lot for your help.

Fixing the bar placement and getting straight wrists would help. It goes just below the spine of the scapula. Double check that. Get your wrists straight and elbows back.

Don't do the weird hip pop before you squat. Just take a deep breath and go. Stay tight as you approach the bottom. You don't need to artificially tilt your pelvis before you start.

Seriously, try the jump thing, then start your squat exactly the same way. It will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Try this: Jump.

Just do it. Don't think about it. A nice deep jump.

Now, notice how your hips went back, your knees came forward, and your chest came down, all at the same time? That's exactly what we want in the squat. Your knees are not coming forward at the very beginning of the squat. Knees and nipples have magnets in them, and need to meet.
    This is a really great cue, Karl.

Bar placement is good,I think.I have a squat mark where Joe Pena has,but I'll check again.Tomorrow I squat,I'll try that,and also use a TUBOW.

I squatted today,and it felt awful.
    Here's a video.
    YouTube
    I've tried slowing down the squat a lot,it didn't help by what I can see,but I've finally found a way to create a decent shelf at least,and I have Karl to thank for that.
    Is the knee slide better,at least?

I think you are pushing your knees out a bit too much at the start of the squat.

You still have that thing where you intentionally extend your back before descend. Don't think about your low back at the top, just stand up and take a big breath so you feel the belt.

I don't think your breathing should elevate the bar 2 inches. This usually happens when you're focusing on lifting your elbows too high.

So besides the knees which should probably go less out, and probably more forward at the start, I think the way you hold the bar is a major concern. I have my own ritual when I'm putting the bar on my back and I posted this in another thread:

1. Place hands on the bar
    2. Rotate elbows inwards. This will tighten your upper back a bit. Hands will end up in line with your forearm and they will not be vertical to the bar.
    3. Get under the bar
    4. Lift your chest up and think about the tennis ball under your chin. This will put the upper back and elbows in correct position.
    This will produce elbows that are barely behind the bar. They will not be up. Elbows up usually results in loose upper back which is probably the best place to dissipate force you create with your hips.

I rewatched your video and I think I exaggerated the elbow problem you have, sorry. It's definitely wobbly and I still think you should address it.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for your help,do you see any knee slide at the bottom?
    That's the main problem I'm trying to correct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast