starting strength gym

Thread: First week Squat

Default First week Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my first Starting Strength workout... All critique is greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by jaking View Post
    This is my first Starting Strength workout... All critique is greatly appreciated
    Did you intend to post a video?

You need to turn your feet out more and, possibly, widen your stance. Get more bent over sooner and keep your knees from traveling so far forward.

Not a bad start at all. I'd widen your stance 1-2" and cut the forward travel of the knees by about the same. You'll be a little bit less vertical, and that's a good thing. Keep focusing on driving up with the hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    You need to turn your feet out more and, possibly, widen your stance. Get more bent over sooner and keep your knees from traveling so far forward.
    Quick work, Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Not a bad start at all. I'd widen your stance 1-2" and cut the forward travel of the knees by about the same. You'll be a little bit less vertical, and that's a good thing. Keep focusing on driving up with the hips.
    Thank you both.. Are there any good cues you recommend to prevent excessive knee travel?

Quote Originally Posted by jaking View Post
    Thank you both.. Are there any good cues you recommend to prevent excessive knee travel?
    I like "Imaginary TUBOW" unless that doesn't work, then I am liberal with the use of a real TUBOW.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I like "Imaginary TUBOW" unless that doesn't work, then I am liberal with the use of a real TUBOW.

I'll definitely give that a shot... I knew going in forward knee travel was probably going to be my biggest problem.. I've always been quad reliant on squats in the past