starting strength gym

Thread: Novice - squat check

Default Novice - squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Running NLP, this is my first form check video. This is set two at 240 lbs. I tried to get set 3 from a different angle to see my foot position but it didn't record.

My left elbow is starting to give me an issue over the last few workouts, to the point where there is distracting discomfort when I get to the press exercises following squats. I have been gripping the bar with my index or middle fingers on the knurling marks, but went wider today which seemed to help a bit. I try to resist pressing the bar up with my hands during the squat, but feel like I'm fighting the bar from sliding down my back.

Thank you for your input.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Stotan71 View Post
    Running NLP, this is my first form check video. This is set two at 240 lbs. I tried to get set 3 from a different angle to see my foot position but it didn't record.

My left elbow is starting to give me an issue over the last few workouts, to the point where there is distracting discomfort when I get to the press exercises following squats. I have been gripping the bar with my index or middle fingers on the knurling marks, but went wider today which seemed to help a bit. I try to resist pressing the bar up with my hands during the squat, but feel like I'm fighting the bar from sliding down my back.

Thank you for your input.

YouTube

Your stance and grip are much too wide. Your knees are soft at the top and your crashing into the hole.

Check out these two articles

Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat | Nick Delgadillo

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

Get a good belt and see a SSC if you can

Just a couple things I noticed:

1. Grip is a bit wide (as Royce also stated). Grip as narrow as you can, somewhat comfortably, and it'll get that upper back nice and tight. It'll help keep the bar in place and your elbows won't have to be so high. Try to keep those elbows more neutral/lower. Wider grip often feels better, but it'll make the upper back less tight and your arms will start doing too much work, possibly causing wrist, shoulder, or elbow pain.
    2. Get tight and stay tight. You look a little loose at the start of the reps. Take a nice deep breath and hold throughout rep. You absolutely do not want to be squatting with a loose core.
    3. Slow down the descent a bit. That quick descent and looseness becomes a problem when you hit the hole. Stay tight and descend a little slower and you'll be more controlled when you change direction.
    4. Not a huge deal, but eventually start working on your walkout. 2-3 steps is optimal. Any more is a waste of energy. Not a huge deal now, but something to work on in the future. Usually one step straight back, then L (or R) foot to position, then R foot to position.

Good luck and nice job posting a vid.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Your knees are soft at the top and your crashing into the hole.
    Can you clarify what you mean by these observations? I don't want to misinterpret.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Get a good belt and see a SSC if you can
    I have a belt, but either bruised a rib or strained an intercostal muscle a while back and it's still painful to wear. If I correct the spinal flexion maybe this won't be an issue? It may provide me with instant feedback!

Agreed on seeing a SSC. There are a couple in my area, I'm reaching out to them to see about scheduling a session.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The bar is coming forward quite a bit as you ascend from the bottom causing the all too familiar good morning squat. Slow your descent and concentrate on controlling the motion. Keep it balanced and steady.

Quote Originally Posted by Stotan71 View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by these observations? I don't want to misinterpret.

I have a belt, but either bruised a rib or strained an intercostal muscle a while back and it's still painful to wear. If I correct the spinal flexion maybe this won't be an issue? It may provide me with instant feedback!

Agreed on seeing a SSC. There are a couple in my area, I'm reaching out to them to see about scheduling a session.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    You need Lock your knees at the top. They don’t have to be hyper extended but straighten them out.

Put the belt in a different spot. It’s not meant to be super comfy, either.

Good deal with seeing the coach. You won’t regret it!! Good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree with the previous comments. I just want to add that I've trained with broken/bruised ribs a few times. While squatting with a belt hurt during the workout, the pain felt a lot better afterwards.