starting strength gym

Thread: squat 290 i think i'm finally getting it

Default squat 290 i think i'm finally getting it

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    still on my novice lp, adding 5 lbs every time on the squat and deadlift and 2.5 lbs on the bench and press. I missed the groove on the first rep and i think my depth was a little sketchy on the third rep but i feel like i'm finally getting a hang of the sitting back and bending over thing and keeping my knees from shooting too far forward in the hole. What do you guys think?

YouTube

These look pretty good to me, but I my coaching eyes are mediocre. Get your account verified and post on the staff coaches q and a. I'm sure they can find stuff to work on. Also, your posters are outstanding!

hahahaha thanks bro, late night amazon shopping

Not bad David. Lift your chin up a bit and set your gaze a little further out. Staring straight down can throw you off a bit. You're a little slow to set your back angle, and you stay too upright early in the set. Last couple reps are better though. But right away, hips back, knees out/forward, and lean over!

Solid work!

Whatcha got in that safe?

Thanks Bill! i'll give those tips a shot and give you guys an update after my next workout. I got a whole bunch of good stuff in that safe, a couple 12 gauges and an AK

Nice. I had an AK several years back, when you could get 7.62x39 for about $100 for a case.

YouTube

here's an update of my squatting from today. I re-did 290 because i missed one rep at 290 during my last workout (that was actually the first time i missed a rep squatting). Bill, i tried using your cues but it doesn't look much different in the video. However, i was able to get all 15 reps this time so i do think they helped. Thanks!

Looks a little better, but keep working on it. Stay in your hips as you drive up, don't raise your chest early.

Here's some more footage of my squats from today. It felt really strong and i think it looks a lot better too. I think that looking forward a little bit more than i was is really helping me get into proper position quickly on the way down. I'm able to feel the balance a lot more in my whole body instead of trying to stay balanced by looking in between my feet. It also looks like i'm staying in my hips a little better even though i wasn't really focusing on that cue today. Thanks so much for you help Bill!

first set: YouTube
    second set: YouTube
    third set: YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Those last sets at 292.5 look way better to me too. Also I feel like the second update you gave should have included a censor bar over your crotch lol. Haven't seen shorts that short/tight since I was training for a marathon.