starting strength gym

Thread: First form check for squat

Default First form check for squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good evening all. In novice progression starting my fourth week. Going to try to stay on 10 lb jumps this week on squat and deadlift. I appreciate any instruction you give me. Thank you.

I'm at 185 lbs here at 5'11" if that matters.

JC

YouTube

Hey Jason,

You're setting the bar a little too high on your back. You want it just below the spine of the scapulae (bony ridge on your shoulder blade). You also want to get your thumbs up on top of the bar, keep your wrists neutral, and squeeze your elbows down and in towards each other as much as possible. Tuck your chin a little and stare a fix spot on the floor a few feet in front of you toes. Take a bigger breath at the top and puff your chest out really big, and clamp down hard with your abs. As you initiate the squat, shove your knees out wide and hips back, and point your sternum down at the floor. Make those corrections and keep adding weight, solid work!

Thank you Bill. Noticed you are from Rensselaer. I've been through there a few times.

I appreciate your coaching. I added 10 pounds and took your input and here's the result: YouTube

I've never clamped down with my abs. I knew there was something I was missing from the belt and you explaining it that way really helped. Thanks again.

Change your privacy settings on the video Jason, showing as video unavailable.

Vid was blocked due to copyright... Maybe a song in the background triggered Youtube's algorithm to block it.

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, that's exactly what happened. Now I know...

Here's my lifts from this morning. Again - thank you for your help.

YouTube

PS - You'll notice the video is completely silent now!